It’s not been more than 3 weeks since Google announced the Android 8.0 update as Oreo and released it for the Pixel and Nexus devices the very same day, that we have already seen a lot Oreo talk already. In the unofficial region, we have seen LineageOS 15 ROM based on Android 8.0 become available — albeit unofficially — for numerous devices, while on the official front, the OnePlus 3 Oreo update has already made a mark.
We have seen many Xiaomi devices already get a port of LineageOS 15 ROM up and ready; the list includes Redmi 2, Redmi 3S, Redmi Note 4, Mi 5S, Mi 5S Plus, Mi Mix, Mi 4c and Mi Note Pro. And now, we can add two more devices to the growing list of LineageOS 15 device list. That’s Mi 3 and Mi 4 handsets, that are known by the codename cancro.
We doubt Xiaomi would release the Mi 4 Oreo update, or Mi 3 Oreo update, now that the devices are quite old, but with the availability of LineageOS 15 ROM, you don’t have to worry about never being able to try Android 8.0, latest and greatest Android OS right now.
Upon installing the LineageOS 15 ROM on your Mi 3. or Mi 4, you get the coolest of Oreo features like notification snooze, new notifications center, picture-in-picture, Autofill, new Settings app, and more.
Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4 (codename: cancro). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download the TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4 from here (or here), and install it using the guide here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moot X Play.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moot X Play in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.