Xiaomi has launched a bunch of affordable Android smartphones over the past couple of years and one such device is the Mi 5s. This is the successor to the previously launched Mi 5 and it brings a lot of new things to the table. While we do think Xiaomi would roll out Mi 5s Oreo update later in 2018, neither we can assure you about it, nor we expect it anytime soon. It’s only a huge welcome development that LineageOS 15.0 ROM for Xiaomi Mi 5s is now available for download, to gets you taste of Android 8.0 treat today itself.
If you are familiar with Xiaomi, then you probably already know that they are not reliable as far as the software updates are concerned. Just to give you an idea, the company is currently rolling out the new MIUI 9, which is their custom skinned ROM based on Android Nougat, and that they rolling out Nougat now speaks volumes about their delayed software update release cycle.
The LineageOS 15.0 Android 8.0 custom ROM for Mi 5s — codenamed capricorn — brings you all the Oreo features and in fact, a stock UI experience that you never get from Xiaomi because they overlay Android OS with their MIUI custom skin. If you are like us, you are gonna love the stock UI over MIUI9, but you might definitely miss some of the the features that MIUI offers. But again it’s totally worth to install LineageOS 15.0, because you get to play with news from features from Oreo, like: Notification dots, Notification snooze, Picture-in-picture, Revampled settings app, etc.
However, before the installation, it is worth noting that this is not an official update and hence a few occasional hiccups are expected.
‘LineageOS 15.0 ROM device list, downloads and Gapps‘
Xiaomi Mi 5s LineageOS 15.0 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Xiaomi Mi 5s, codenamed capricorn. Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15.0 on Xiaomi Mi 5s
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download the TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi 5s from here, and install it using the guide here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Mi 5s.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Mi 5s in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.
Also read: HTC One M7 LineageOS 15.0 ROM