Back in the days, Moto G was probably one of the most popular entry-level budget smartphones. It was launched in November 2013 and it soon became quite popular for the attractive price. However, fast-forward a few years to 2017, it has aged pretty decently. The company is currently selling the 5th generation of this device. Naturally, the software support is also not that great for the older generations. In fact, the company is even struggling to push the security patch to the newer smartphones like Moto C Plus in a timely manner right now.
This is where a third-party ROM comes into play and just like the most other smartphones out there, the Moto G 1st generation also has a ton of custom ROM options to choose from. However, currently, the most popular ROM is undoubtedly the LineageOS 15.
The LineageOS 15 brings Android 8.0 Oreo to the old Moto G1, which is something that we won’t get from Motorola naturally. For those of you who don’t know, the LineageOS 15 ROM brings all the goodness of Android Oreo like the picture-in-picture mode, notifications channels, notifications dots, new Settings apps, etc.
And do make a note here that the official builds of the LineageOS 15 ROM are yet to arrive, and that this is an unofficial version. Hence, it might not be very stable as of today, however, it will get better over time as new updates are pushed for it.
It is also worth noting that the Moto G1 is offered in two different variants i.e. 3G and LTE. The 3GB variant is known by its codename falcon, while the Moot G1 LTE is also known as peregrine. Because their ROMs are not compatible with each other, you need make sure that you install the ROM after determining which one is for your device exactly.
While you can check for the codename in Settings > About phone, we’re also helping you with device model no. by segregating all Moto G1 sets out there with different model nos into two groups: falcon and peregrine.
Moto G1 3G (flacon) variants by model no.:
Moto G1 LTE (peregrine) variants by model no.:
Now that you have an idea of which variant you have based on model no. too, we suggest you carefully download the respective ROM file and proceed with the installation.
Moto G1 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto G1 3G (falcon) & LTE (peregrine) models listed above. Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- LineageOS 15 ROM for Moto G:
- Android 8.0 Oreo Gapps
Note: Check out the development page here (falcon) at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated for peregrine’s link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto G1
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto G1.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G1 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.