Thanks to Android development community, the Xiaomi Mi 4c users can now download and install the Android 8.0 Oreo update — latest Android OS, which is available officially only on nexus and Pixel devices right now.
Launched with Android 5.1.1 on-board, there is no chance that the Xiaomi Mi 4c would receive the Android 8.0 Oreo update as an OTA from Xiaomi. And it is fair, too – -after all, an OEM can’t support a device with major software update for more than 2 years.
The LineageOS 15 ROM is based on Android 8.0, and brings home exciting features that Oreo update is making rounds for. Granted, there isn’t much in Oreo compared to the Android version-changing upgrades of yesteryear, but there are still some features that you’d want on your device.
The Xiaomi Mi 4c isn’t the first device to receive the Android 8.0 update via LineageOS 15, and it won’t be the lats one either. We expect many other Xiaomi devices to get to taste the sweetness of Oreo, like Mi 6, Mi 5, Redmi Note 3, Redmi Note 4, etc., while some of the Xiaomi phones that have already got the update are: Mi 4c, Redmi 2, Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus.
We’re talking Oreo features like picture-in-picture, that allows you to play YouTube videos in a small window — as a pop-up — while bring able to use any other app in the background. And there is Autofill feature baked into the system now, allowing you to easily fill out forms and login info easily when using any app or on any webpage.
While Google has released the Android Oreo update to Pixel and Nexus sets, most of the Oreo eligible devices are yet to receive the update. Find the list of all Oreo eligible devices and their expected release date here.
Xiaomi Mi 4c LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Xiaomi Mi 4c (codename: libra). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog.
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Xiaomi Mi 4c
Requirements: Well, this ROM requires that your Mi 4c is running the MIUI 8.5.10 firmware. If that’s not the case, install the 8.5.10 firmware first, which you can download from here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Mi 4c.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Mi 4c in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.
Also Read: ‘When will OnePlus 5 get Oreo update‘