The Xiaomi Redmi 2 was the successor to the budget Redmi 1s. Back in 2014 the Redmi series presented good value for money and distinguished itself from the other budget devices with their Qualcomm chipsets. The Redmi 2 carried over most of the specs from the older 1s with the exception of an updated processor and addition of more RAM.
And now, the budget device will be able to flex some new muscles with Lineage OS 14.1. Xiaomi does provide a lot of customization options with its stock ROM but Lineage OS will help you take that up by a notch with root permissions.
As this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver. You won’t run into any major issues but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly build over the experimental one. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Xiaomi Redmi 2 (wt88047) Lineage OS
- Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
- Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- SuperSu: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. You will need to download and flash SuperSU separately as Lineage OS only provides root to ADB. It is advisable to download the above linked .zip for SuperSU as there is a possibility of bootloop with any other variant of Super
How to Install Lineage OS on Redmi 2
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Redmi 2.
- Boot your Redmi 2into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Redmi 2in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Redmi 2.
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Xiaomi Redmi 2 (wt88047).