Xiaomi’s one of the most popular series of smartphones is Redmi. It’s been a few years since the company launched the series and now, currently, they are selling the fourth generation of these devices. Last year’s Redmi 3 series i.e. Redmi 3S/3X/Prime smartphones were well received in the emerging markets like India. They all are a great value for the money. However, the software story is pretty much the same across Xiaomi smartphones.
As you may or may not know, Xiaomi uses their own custom skin on top of the stock Android and the overall user-experience takes a hit due to this. While it is not necessarily a bad skin, to begin with, however, it is quite heavy. Overall, it is not an ideal experience for a stock Android enthusiast.
In this case, we usually recommend users to go for a third-party custom ROM. And if you are planning on flashing one, then we suggest you go for LineageOS 15 since it is based on the latest version of Android. It brings all the new Android 8.0 Oreo features to the entry-level Xiaomi Redmi 3 series smartphone. Ideally, at the current pace, it will take a while for Xiaomi to push the Oreo update.
Do make a note that this is not an official release and hence you may experience a few bugs while using it on a daily basis. That said, we hope that the future updates will definitely fix it.
‘LineageOS 15 ROM device list, downloads and Gapps‘
Xiaomi Redmi 3S/3X/Prime LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Redmi 3S/3X/Prime smartphones, codenamed land. Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Xiaomi Redmi 3s/3x/Prime
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download the TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Redmi 3s/3x/Prime from here, and install it using the guide here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Redmi 3s/3x/Prime.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Redmi 3s/3x/Prime in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.
‘Expected release date of Android Oreo update‘