Moto G3 is not getting an Oreo update from Motorola — heck, it didn’t even get the Nougat update we thought it deserves — so an availability of a custom ROM based on Android 8.0 becomes all the more important. So, it must be awesome news for our Moto G3 users that the first build of LineageOS 15 ROM just hit the web.
Yep, an Oreo custom ROM for the Moto G3 in the form of LineageOS 15 is available for download already, only about two weeks after Google released the Oreo update for Pixel and Nexus users.
Armed with a decent-ish 2GB of RAM and moderate Snapdragon 410 processor, the Moto G3 is surely capable of running the Android 8.0 update, and we’re happy to see the device live on.
It’s quite interesting to note that, at this given moment (September 05, 2017), even the Motor G4 doesn’t have a Oreo custom ROM available. However, the Moto G5 Plus LineageOS 15 is out already, which is also good news, and a proof that how much love the Moto G series gets in development community.
While the official LineageOS 15 ROM is yet to arrive, we’re seeing tons of unofficial port arrive for the variety of devices already, full list of which can be seen below.
Motorola Moto G3 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Motorola Moto G3 (codenamed osprey/merlin). Do not try this on any other device as you may end up bricking it.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- LineageOS 15.0 for Moto G3
- Android 8.0 Oreo Gapps (same for both variants)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto G3
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto G3.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G3 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.