Google dropped support for Nexus 9 with the release of Android 7.0 Nougat last year. The search engine giant supported its last Nexus tablet until the Android 7.1.1 release and since then the tablet has been living on community support as far as software updates go.
The Nexus 9 is never going to get Android 8.0 Oreo update officially from Google. But thanks to our folks over at XDA, an unofficial build of LineageOS 15 is now available for Nexus 9 and you can install it right now to get Android 8.0 Oreo booting on your aging Nexus tablet.
LineageOS 15 is a custom ROM based on AOSP sources of Android 8.0 Oreo. The ROM comes with stock Android UI and a ton of customization options such as themes, kernel profiles and many more advanced features.
Some of the old popular devices that are rocking the Oreo update now thanks to LineageOS 15 include OnePlus 2, Xiaomi Redmi 2, Xiaomi Redmi 3, Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4, Moto G, Moto G2, Le Max 2, Nexus 4, Nexus 6, HTC One M7, to name a few.
Since this is a first release of LineageOS 15 for Nexus 9, we wouldn’t recommend you to install it on your Nexus 9 just yet. This build of the ROM may have major functionalities missing that are critical for everyday usage. But if you just want to give it a try to see Android Oreo in action on your Nexus 9, this ROM is a good option.
Nexus 9 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Nexus 9 (codename: flounder/volantis). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog.
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Nexus 9
- Download and transfer the LineageOS 15 ROM, Fire-Ice kernel and Gapps zip files that you downloaded above to your Nexus 9.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Nexus 9 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Fire-Ice kernel zip and Gapps zip file one-by-one in the same way you installed LineageOS ROM file.
- After flashing all the required files, reboot your device.