After two years of its existence, Innersloth’s Among Us has seen its peak the multiplayer indie game rankings with over 110,000 players engaged every hour. The game’s popularity isn’t just because of its sheer brilliant storyline but also because it supports unrestricted crossplay between PC, iOS, and Android devices.
If you’re on the PC side of things, you should be glad to know that Among Us is available for download on Windows 10, albeit for a measly price of $5, which cannot be said about Mac devices. But what if you don’t wish to pay the asking price and want to still play it for free. In the following post, we’ll help you get Among Us on Windows for free, discuss how well it runs and whether it’s better than getting Among Us via Steam.
Run the free Android version on your Windows or Mac using BlueStacks Android Emulator
If you wish to play Among Us for free on your Windows PC, you can do so by installing the Bluestacks Android emulator which creates a virtual machine on your computer to run Android like you would on a smartphone. By using BlueStacks, you can utilize all the things that come with Android like installing apps and games, directly on your PC without needing any additional hardware.
1. Install BlueStacks
After the file has been downloaded, locate a file named ‘BlueStackInstaller.exe’ in your ‘Downloads’ folder and open it by double-clicking on it. If Windows prompts you about whether you want the application to be opened, click on ‘Run’ and let the installer open up on your screen.
When the installer opens, click on the ‘Install now’ button at the bottom and follow the on-screen instructions to properly install the app on your desktop. Bluestacks will now get installed on your Windows 10 PC and you need to give it a few minutes to complete the installation before the first boot.
2. Run BlueStacks
Once the app has been installed, Bluestacks will launch for the first time. In case it doesn’t, launch Bluestacks from the Start Menu on your PC and after successful booting, wait for it to greet you with a ‘Welcome’ screen. In this welcome screen, click on the ‘Let’s Go’ button and proceed to sign in to your Google account by entering your credentials.
After you have entered your account username and password and agreed to Google’s terms of service, you can complete the sign-in process at which point you will be taken to the Android home screen running on Bluestacks.
3. Install Among Us game from the Play Store
Now, you can proceed to install the Among Us game on Bluestacks by opening the Google Play Store and then searching for “Among Us” from inside the search tool at the top. You will need to locate the game and find one that has InnerSloth LLC mentioned as the game’s developer. Once you’ve found it, click on the ‘Install’ button on the right-hand side of the game’s Play Store listing and wait for it to install.
Google Play will now install the ‘Among Us’ game on the Android system and once, it’s installed, click on the ‘Open’ button. This will open the game on your Windows PC screen and you can start playing Among Us without any hassle.
Is performance on BlueStacks good?
As is the case with any application you install on your Windows 10 PC, there are a few criteria you should meet to run Bluestacks on your system. The service mentions that in order to run the latest version Bluestacks 4 on Windows 10, you need to have:
- Windows 7 or later (Windows 10 recommended)
- Intel or AMD Processor
- 2GB of RAM (8GB or higher recommended)
- 5GB of HDD space (SSD storage recommended)
- Latest graphics drivers installed (Intel/Nvidia/ATI cards recommended)
Although Among Us should run on most modern systems, several users reported that they were unable to play the game due to random crashes and freezes.
This wasn’t a one-off issue and there have been similar instances about the game getting laggy and jittery after a certain point.
Some users didn’t even get to launch the game as they were greeted with a black screen with nothing to interact with.
The same was the case with this user as well.
Is Bluestacks Safe?
Yes. Bluestacks is a California-based company founded in 2009, offering a free Android emulator that’s safe to run on your PC and has signed certificates to prove its safety. The software offers barebones Android on any PC you install it on and to keep things clean, there are no third-party applications when the emulator is installed on your computer.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you download the program from Bluestacks’ own website and not elsewhere and that’s why the link we’ve provided in the guide above is directed to their official website. While Bluestacks is safe in itself, it’s your responsibility to make sure that the Android apps you install via Bluestacks are from trusted sources when downloading them from Google Play.
Is Among Us on Bluestacks officially supported by Innersloth?
We have established that Bluestacks is one of the safest routes you can take for playing Among Us using Android emulators and if that wasn’t enough, we now have official word from the makers of the game – Innersloth. Upon being asked their opinion about players using Bluestacks to play their game, Innersloth responded (to Meristation) by saying:
Don’t worry, we fully agree that players use Bluestacks to enjoy Among Us for free on PC. The monetization of advertising also benefits us with this method, so all good.
What this essentially means is, using Bluestacks for playing Among Us is officially supported by the game’s developers and you can thus use it for free without worrying about security.
Why should you play Among Us on Bluestacks over Steam?
There are a few reasons why you should go with playing Among Us on Bluestacks instead of Steam. Here’s why:
- It’s free to play: If you wish to install Among Us on your PC via Steam, you’ll have to pay $5 to play it.
- Easy to setup: If you’re someone who already uses Bluestacks to emulate Android apps and games, then installing Among Us on your PC will be as easy as installing an app on an Android device. You just have to open Google Play on Bluestacks and search for the game and install it. Bluestacks itself is easy to install and can be easily launched after the initial setup with ease.
- Won’t consume as much resource than its Steam version: Bluestacks is an Android emulator and since Android itself consumes lesser resources than computers, playing Among Us on it will be less demanding than running it via Steam.
- Installing Bluestacks lets you try out other Android apps: If you opted for the free way to get Among Us on your PC, then you can also install other Android apps and games on your PC via Bluestacks.
Why should you play Among Us on Steam over Bluestacks?
While installing Bluestacks might get you the ability to play Among Us for free, you might want to consider getting the game on Steam for the following reasons:
- Character Movement is easier on Steam: When you’re playing the game on Bluestacks, navigating your character is hard as you can never walk in a straight line. This must be a keyboard input issue that’s known to be present on Android emulators and is especially noticeable when playing games.
- Doing tasks can be harder on Bluestacks: Because moving around on Steam’s Among Us is easier than on Bluestacks, doing tasks is also easier on it.
- No weird typing problems: Among Us installed via Steam will work like any other game on your PC, so you will have no issues when using your keyboard inside the game. Users have noticed some typing issues when playing the game via Bluestacks.
- If you don’t want to see ads, play it on Steam: The reason Among Us is available for free on iOS and Android is because the game is ad-supported on the two mobile platforms. Since the game is available for $5 on Steam, you don’t see ads on the Steam version of Among Us.
- Better performance/graphics on Steam: With Bluestacks, games like Among Us will run the way they’re designed to run on small screens. So graphics quality of Among Us won’t be on the same level as Steam’s version which is quite good. Another point to note is the performance; generally, games on Android emulators are known to be a little clunky at times, meaning Among Us will be smoother on Steam than on Bluestacks.
- Your personal data is safe on Steam: The biggest sacrifice that Among Us mobile users have to make is to their user data. Innersloth will share users’ personal data to show them ads based on their interests which Steam’s version doesn’t.
- Minimum system requirements put Steam version ahead of Bluestacks: If you thought running Among Us Steam will be harder than on Bluestacks, you might be surprised. The Among Us page on Steam reads that the game only needs processors with SSE2 instruction set support, 1 GB of RAM, and 250 MB of storage to run which is far less than what Bluestacks needs to get installed on your PC.
Should you just buy the game on Steam?
Yes. Although Among Us costs as much as $5 when purchased on Steam, the fact remains is that you can directly install the game on your Windows machine without needing to depend on a third-party service. Not to mention, Among Us on Steam has received positive feedback of around 93%, of which 60K ratings were submitted in the past month alone.
▶ Download Among Us on Steam
Alternatives to BlueStacks
If Among Us on Bluestacks isn’t settling in right for you, then one option you can try before deciding on buying the game from steam is an alternative for Bluestacks itself. Games can sometimes be jittery on some Android emulators and there might be a Bluestacks compatibility issue with your system.
You can try the following alternatives instead of Bluestacks to install and play Among Us:
Can you play Among Us on a Mac?
Officially, no. Innersloth is yet to release the official version of Among Us for those who wish to play the game on macOS. iOS.If you’re searching the Mac App Store for Among Us, sadly, you won’t be able to find or install the game on your Mac system. But you can play Among Us using Bluestacks similar to how you do it on Windows PC.
We have prepared a guide in the link below where we explain the different ways you can play Among Us on your macOS device and suggest to you which one you should try depending on the devices you have at hand.
Among Us Mods, hacks, and spam: Things you should stay away from
Like any game or service available online, Among Us has also attracted a bunch of hackers, cheaters, and modders. Cheaters are those who use unethical ways to communicate and find out who the imposter is. While some cheaters communicate with other players to know the imposter, the others use various mods to expose the imposter or kill crewmates.
Speaking about the mods, many players and fans have tried using various mods to win games on Among Us. In the video below, you will be able to see how Among Us can become one-sided with the help of a mod, which in this case was made by PlatinMods.
This is the POV of an Among Us Hacker.
(yes i used the hacks, dont worry i deleted them after.) pic.twitter.com/jzPRZfJsRb
— this is poco (@Poco_BrawlStars) September 29, 2020
Although there are real mods that players can use to gain an advantage inside the game, there are a bunch of websites that are running scams of their own by claiming new features and mods but instead offer nothing in return. We have discussed these websites in detail and have explained why you should stay away from them in the post we’ve prepared in the link below.
Another mod, created by Socksfor1, allows you to play Among Us with around 100 players with as much as 10 imposters and multiple players with the same color. There have been recorded instances where 100 players play Among Us in full chaos resulting in multiple killings throughout the first half of the game.
To make this even more fun, another Youtuber The Pixel Kingdom created a new version of the 100-player mod where there is 1 crewmate and you guessed it – 99 imposters. The result is quite hilarious and you can see that for yourself here:
Of the mods and hacks reported online, the “Eris Loris” spam has been the one that has been widely witnessed worldwide. Since October 22nd, the Among Us userbase has been struggling with a new spam attack where a match’s text chat is spammed with a promotional message toward Eris Loris’ Youtube channel. The issue has since been addressed by Innersloth but it’s yet to be fixed by the game’s developer.
You can read more about the hacks, mods, and other attacks reported on Among Us in the post we’ve written in the link below.
If any of these methods worked right for you or if you can anything else to add to our list, feel free to hit us in the comments below.