If we had to pick one OEM that is receiving the most LineageOS 15 builds, then it has to be Xiaomi. Yesterday, we covered the Mi Max LineageOS ROM, and even before that, one for the Mi3 and Mi4, but there is a large bunch of other Xiaomi devices the Android 8.0 Oreo update is available on already via LineageOS 15.0 custom ROM.
And today, we can add one more device to the list: Xiaomi Mi 2. The LineageOS port just arrived for the Mi 2, meaning, the its users can have a run at Android 8.0 now. Given the fact that Xiaomi had released the device back in 2012, it remains one of the oldest devices at the moment to run Oreo update. This is some incredible power of the custom ROM development, and LineageOS 15 ROM, no?
Xiaomi Oreo update release plans are not known yet, but suffice it to say that it would arrive as MIUI 10, and sometime in Q3 2018 given the company’s lethargic response to major Android updates. They released the Nougat update based on MIUI 9 only few weeks ago for their most popular devices at the moment, and are still in the process of distributing it to all eligible devices.
As good as they are with monthly updates to their MIUI ROM, the Android version changing updates take a lot of time coming. However, there is be one certain Xiaomi device that will receive updates in timely fashion, and that’s Xiaomi Mi A1, that comes with stock UI and is covered under the Android One program, meaning its software updates will be pushed directly by Google.
So, if you have a Xiaomi Mi 2 lying around, or someone using it around you, here’s a chance to give it a go of Android 8.0 Oreo update. The Android 8.0 OS packs some cool features, like picture-in-picture, better notifications grouping in the shade, revamped Settings app, Notification snooze, better Always-on display, Instant Apps, Notification badges, Notification channels, Autofill, and more.
Note: As the development has just kicked in for the device, expect the initial ROMs to be buggy. Over the course of time though, we should be seeing some stable ROM come out.
Xiaomi Mi 2 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Xiaomi Mi 2 (codename: Aries). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the Android Oreo update on Xiaomi Mi 2 [LineageOS ROM]
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Xiaomi Mi 2.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Xiaomi Mi 2 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.