In the world of social media, it isn’t enough to just know what different apps do. You also need to understand the lingo for each of those apps. Yes, each of your social media apps has its own lingo including abbreviations, emoticons, etc. In this article, we will cover what the term ‘ion’ means on Snapchat and how you can use it.
What does ‘ion’ stand for?
Simply put, ion stands for ‘In Other News‘. It is an acronym that has come to be used quite universally. Ion’s use extends beyond the confines of Snapchat, and can even be found in text messages and DMs.
Many emoji keyboards have stickers pertaining to ion. You can search for these stickers using the acronym or just ‘in other news’.
Related: Best Snapchat terms and their meanings
How is ‘ion’ used on Snapchat?
The acronym is mainly used to change the topic of a conversation. For example, if you are talking about one thing, but want to shift focus to another, you can use ‘ion’ and then start the next conversation.
It can also be used to start a conversation with someone whom you do not usually talk to. In this regard, ion is used to break the ice and introduce a topic immediately.
Used out of context, ion is a fun way to bring attention to a fact that you would like to share. For example, ‘ion, UFOs are flying around Earth, and no one is really shocked’.
Related: What is Snapchat compass from the latest update
How to use ‘ion’ on Snapchat
You can use the acronym in a myriad of ways on Snapchat. You can use ‘ion’ text in your message, snap, or even in your Snapchat story. BTW, Snapchat also has a sticker for ‘in other news’, that you can add to your snaps.
When used in a snap or story, it is better to create a separate textbox for ion. This lets you highlight the topic rather than the ‘ion’ text. If you don’t feel like typing it out, you could always just use the sticker instead.
To use the ‘ion sticker’ on a snap, first launch the Snapchat app, and click a picture to set as the background to your snap. Now tap the ‘Stickers’ button in the right-side panel. Using the search bar at the top, search for ‘in other news’. Tap the sticker that you would like to add to your story.
Once you have your sticker, you can go ahead and add the fact that you would like to highlight. Tap the background anywhere to add your text.
Send your snap out as you normally would.
Similar terms to ion on Snapchat
Here are some terms that relate closely to ‘ion’. Some of them can even be used interchangeably.
- ICYDK: This stands for ‘In Case You Don’t Know’. It can also be used interchangeably with ‘ion’ and ‘FYI’ to signify a change of topic.
- News flash: Like ‘ion’, this term can be used to bring attention to a new topic. Usually, something the person cares about.
- IMO: This stands for ‘In My Opinion’. IMO is used to voice your own opinion about matters that you hold dear.
- FYI: ‘For Your Information’ is quite universally used to inform someone about something they probably do not know.
Some other meanings for ‘ion’ on the web
While used colloquially ion has a very specific meaning, the internet is a vast trove of information. So the use of ion on Snapchat is not as globally accepted as you might think. Here are some other terms that ‘ion’ may refer to.
- An atom or molecules that possesses a charge (used primarily in the scientific community)
- I Don’t: Ion sounds a lot like the words ‘I Don’t‘ said quickly and casually. This is why it has come to be used as such. For example, ‘ion even know what to say’ (I don’t even know what to say).
- Inter Office Note: Used as a way to send messages between people within the same office.
Well, we hope this article helped! If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to us in the comments below.