Motorola launched the Moto G4 Play smartphone last year, along with the Moto G4 as well as the Moto G4 Plus. The device became fairly popular for various reasons and the software is one of them. However, now Motorola doesn’t seem to be keeping up well with the new updates. In fact, they also openly admitted that they are not committed to Google’s monthly security patches as well.
Speaking of updates, Motorola is yet to confirm the list of their devices getting the new Android 8.0 Oreo update. While a specific date is not known yet, we believe that their newer devices will be updated first and by the time the update is rolled out to the Moto G4 series, it could be a while. That’s besides assuming they do have plans to update Moto G4 sets to Oreo, including the G4 Play edition.
Hence, if you are willing to experience the latest version of Android on G4 Play, then we suggest you go for a third-party custom ROM like LineageOS. The new LineageOS 15 ROM is now available for the Moto G4 Play — besides other Motorola devices: the Moto E2, Moto G1, Moto G5 Plus — and is based on the latest version of Android (8.0). The installation is fairly straightforward as well. LineageOS 15 brings the new Oreo features to your Moto G4 Play, allowing you to experience them without even relying on Motorola, who would do it anyway.
Moto G4 Play LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto G4 Play (codename: harpia). Do not try this on any other device as you may end up bricking it.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto G4 Play
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto G4 Play.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G4 Play in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.