Ever since Android 5.0 Lollipop released, getting ViPER4Android to work magic on music played on Android devices has been a challenge for the users. The change of SELinux policy from permissive to enforcing broke ViPER4Android pretty bad.
But soon came a workaround to use ViPER4Android on Lollipop while still running SELinux in enforcing mode (to ensure device security). The trick worked on Android 6.0 Marshmallow as well. But with Android 7.0 Nougat update, folks over at xda have came up with an even easier way to get ViPER4Android working with sepolicy set to enforcing.
For the unknown, ViPER4Android is the mother of all sound MODs available for Android devices. And it’s not device specific. You can install ViPER4Android on any Android device and enjoy rich music experience on your device without spending a single penny on sound component hardware upgrades.
User guitardedhero over at xda has shared a zip file of ViPER4Android that you can install/flash using a custom recovery like TWRP on your Android device. This zip installs ViPER4Android on Nougat without a flaw. We tested it on our Nexus 5X and 6P running the latest builds of Android 7.0 Nougat.
Note: The ViPER4Android files and installation instructions shared on this page might also work for Lollipop and Marshmallow releases of Android.
Grab the recovery flashable ViPER4Android 18.104.22.168 zip file from the download link below and follow the quick instructions to get it working on your Android Nougat device.
How to Install ViPER4Android on Nougat
- Make sure you’re rooted and have TWRP recovery installed on your device.
└ For help, follow our guide on How to Root Android 7.0 Nougat.
- Download the ViPER4Android_22.214.171.124_guitardedhero.zip file from the download button above and transfer it your device’ internal storage.
- Boot into TWRP recovery and install/flash the ViPER4Android_126.96.36.199_guitardedhero.zip file to your device.
- Reboot phone.
- Download/install a root file explorer app (we recommend ES File Explorer).
└ On ES File Explorer, swipe-in from left and turn on Root explorer feature. And don’t forget to grant root access when asked.
- Now using your root explorer app, go to /vendor/etc/ directory on the device and rename audio_effects.conf to audio_effects.conf.bak.
- Open ViPER4Android FX app on your phone (it installed when you flashed the zip file in step 3 above).
- You’ll get a notification to install V4A driver. Select YES.
- It’ll take some time to install V4A driver, and while doing so it might even look like it’s stuck but you don’t worry. It’s doing its job and will finish soon.
└ If Android gives an error that the app has stuck/stopped. Be sure to select the wait option, don’t force close it.
- Once you get the Driver installed message on screen, reboot your device.
That’s all. Enjoy ViPER4Android music MOD on your Android device running on Nougat.