Update [September 10, 2017]: It turns out that the LineageOS 15 ROM, in its current build as one September 10, 2017, is not working at all. It fails to boot. So, you might want to wait for a build that boots into Android OS all fine.
With the likes of HTC One M7 and One M8 both scoring an update to Android 8.0 Oreo via unofficial route known as the LineageOS 15 custom ROM, it was only a matter of time before another device if that era got one too.
If you still have an HTC One Max near you, then now you can install and run the Oreo update on the device. LineageOS 15 ROM, that is powered by Android 8.0 OS, just became available for the device. So, gear up your TWRP, and flash away the LOS 15 ROM and Gapps file now to have some good time with the Google latest OS.
HTC Oreo update plans have been revealed too, and the OEM has revealed that they plan to release the Android 8.0 update first of all on their brand-new HTC U11, followed by U Ultra. Even though they didn’t comment on the targeted release, we think they would be able to roll out Oreo OTA before the end of December 2017. Given that OnePlus has already rolled out Android 8.0 update for OnePlus 3 under closed-eta testing phase, with luck, we might see the Oreo update from HTC too before end of October 2017.
Back to One Max and its own Android 8.0 adventure, which kicks on today thanks to LineageOS 15 ROM, well do note that this is not an official LOS15 release and hence, you are bound to face a few bugs occasionally. However, the issues should be resolved, and bugs quashed, over the course of time, and you shall have a stable ROM worthy of a daily driver available pretty soon. Keep watching this space for official nightly builds as we would share them with once they are available.
HTC One Max LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with HTC One Max (codename: t6). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: The current build of LineageOS 15 ROM for HTC One Max fails to boot properly. So you might have to wait until a ROM that boots up fine becomes available, let alone hoping for a stable ROM.
→ Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your One Max.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your One Max in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.