The HTC One M8 had some following — the device was one of a kind phone with great build quality and premium feel, and was a beast in performance department too. We would not be surprised if too many of you still have ti around. But given that it’s quite an old device — even HTC has scrapped the One series in favor of U series (hello U11!) — the software update for the device has long been pulled over.
However, we always knew that a custom ROM based on Android 8.0 Oreo OS (expected release) would become available eventually for the One M8, and that’s what has happened now. The Android 8.0 OS powered LineageOS 15 ROM is now available for One M8 users for download and tingle with.
So, if you are interested in trying out the latest version of Android i.e. 8.0 Oreo, then go ahead and continue reading to know how to install the LineageOS 15 ROM on HTC One M8.
PSA: This build is not an official release of LineageOS 15 ROM, and if you install this, then you are bound to face a few bugs occasionally. However, these minor bugs should be crushed with future updates, once the official build goes live.
HTC One M8 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with all M8 single-SIM variants (m8ul, m8vzw, and m8spr). Do not try this on any other device. (Ignore the dual-SIM variant mentioned in screenshot.)
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your HTC One.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your HTC One M8 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.