It is no shame to admit that we all have that one message that we regret sending out bearing that embarrassing typo that was overlooked and is packed with dangerous potential to land you in the swamp of humiliation. Well, you just might be able to save yourself from repeating such a scenario.
Why? Because, on iOS 16, Apple has added an option to “unsend” a message you sent via the iMessage app under two conditions. The conditions are:
- You must take the initiative to unsend the message within 15 minutes of sending it
- Both the sender and recipient are using iOS 16 on their iPhone
If you can satisfy these two simple, straightforward yet unbending rules of the game, then here’s how you can get it done.
How to unsend an iMessage on iOS 16
- Requirement: Both the sender and receiver’s devices should be running on iOS 16.
- The 15-minute window to “unsend” the iMessage is not past.
Open the iMessage app on your iPhone or iPad.
Open the chat containing the message you wish to delete and long press on the message you wish to unsend.
If there is still time left of the 15-minute countdown, you will see an option to “Undo send” on the overflow menu.
Tap Undo Send on the overflow menu.
Done! That’s all it takes to recall a sent message on the iMessage app.
What happens after unsending an iMessage?
The message will be immediately removed from your screen of the conversation thread. After recalling a message, you will also receive a system alert that if the original recipient is using an older version of iOS, then the message would not be removed from their inbox regardless of completing all the steps from your end.
The caveat here is that there is a possibility of the message not getting retracted from the receiver’s inbox even if you took the initiative to “unsend” it on time.
Can you “undo send” an iMessage after 15 minutes?
It is a hard “No”. The “undo send” option disappears from the options after 15 minutes. It is one of the hard rules of retrieving a message sent out using iMessage. So, you can only hope that you catch mistakes or get hit with regret within 15 minutes of sending the message to perform the action.
That’s all, folks! Share your thoughts and feedback with us in the comments!
- ‘Undo Send’ Not Available Working on iPhone? How to Fix
- Does iOS 16 Have Split Screen? All You Need to Know
- iOS 16 Theme: How to Access and Change Themes for Lock Screen on iPhone
- 30 Must-know iOS 16 Features!
- How to delete a contact very quickly on iPhone on iOS 16
- How to Blur the Home Screen Background on iPhone on iOS 16