If you are into the cool stuff you can do with root access and TWRP, and are planning to buy the Mi Mix 2, then we have some really good news for you here. The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 root is now available, as also the TWRP recovery.
Basically, the real development here is availability of TWRP recovery, using which you can easily gain root access via Magisk root tool package.
We were expecting the TWRP recovery for Mi Mix 2 to arrive now, as we have already had the TWRP for Mi Note 3, a device Xiaomi launched alongside the Mi Mix 2 recently.
Hopefully, an Android 8.0 based ROM like LineageOS 15 is released for the device too, as it’s been for the original Mi Mix, and countless other Xiaomi devices. Get our AIO list of LineageOS 15 downloads and device list here.
While we are sure Xiaomi would bring the 8.0 update for Mi Mix 2, we just that it’s gonna take some considerable time. Xiaomi has revealed its Oreo release plans yet, which only adds makes things worse.
Read: ‘Xiaomi MIUI 9 release news‘
Anyway, here’s how you can install TWRP recovery and thereafter root your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 right away.
Note: As installing TWRP on device makes it prone to system checks and stuff, that could result in device not restarting properly if adequate care is not taken, it is highly advisable to simply install Magisk to not only get root access via it, but also keep the device okay with system checks. So, just follow the guide below and do install Magisk as said below — do not stop after installing TWRP, continue and install Magisk too.
How to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 and install TWRP recovery
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, codename chiron
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, codename polaris
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Important: Check your device’s model no. on its packaging box, or in Settings > About device. BTW, be sure to use an app like Droid Info to make sure that your device’s model no. is the one given above. If you don’t see the same model no. and codename, then DO NOT try this on your device.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
Mi Mix 2 and Mi Mix 2S Root and TWRP guide
Once you’ve downloaded the TWRP image (.img) and Magisk file, you will need to ensure that you have the necessary drivers installed on your PC for everything to work smoothly. You can use these Xiaomi drivers.
Once you’ve successfully installed the drivers on your PC, we can begin:
- To be able to install TWRP recovery, you need to first unlock bootloader of your Mi Mix 2/2S. For this, go to this Xiaomi unlock page, and follow the instructions. You may need to create an account for this, as Xiaomi will send you the unlock code on your email ID provided here.
└ Note: Until bootloader is unlocked, you cannot install TWRP recovery, and cannot root your Mi Mix 2/2S either.
- Download the TWRP recovery file and Magisk file from above.
- Transfer the Magisk file to your Mi Mix 2/2S. Keep TWRP file on PC.
- Next, setup ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
Open a command window on PC in the folder where you have the downloaded TWRP file (from step 2) on your PC.
- For this, go to that folder, and then in the address bar, type cmd and hit enter key. A command window will open, and its folder location will be where you have the downloaded TWRP image file.
- Now, reboot your Mi Mix 2/2S into fastboot mode.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons for about 7 seconds till you see the Mi bunny mascot on the screen. (If this doesn’t work, try Volume down + Home + Power buttons together.)
- Now, connect your Mi Mix 2/2S to the PC with a USB cable (preferably the cable that came with your device).
└ Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- Now, we install TWRP recovery by issuing the following command.
fastboot flash recovery <filename of twrp file here>.img
- Now reboot into recovery mode to use TWRP recovery to root Mi Mix 2/2S by installing Magisk. Use the command below to easily do that. (Yes, while in fastboot mode, you can also use volume buttons to find the Recovery option, and then power button to select that option to reach TWRP.)
fastboot boot <filename of twrp file here>.img
- In TWRP, when it asks for it, do not allow for System modifications. You may have to swipe for this.
- Now, let’s root this buddy. Do this: Tap on Install button, and then select the Magisk zip file. Then do the swipe action at the bottom to install the Magisk root tool. Once done, tap on the Back button to go back to main screen of TWRP.
- Tap on Reboot option, and then on System to restart your Mi Mix 2/2S, which will now have root access.
Do let us know if you need any help with installing TWRP recovery on the Mi Mix 2 or Mi Mix 2S, or anything related to root access.