Ever since the official release of Android 8.0 Oreo, a lot of OEMs are announcing the list of their devices receiving the new update. Although it is quite obvious that most of the recently released flagships will receive the new update, only HTC, Sony and Motorola have officially come forward and have talked about their devices receiving the update.
Meanwhile, the LineageOS community has been very promising with their latest developments. If you have been following our coverage on LineageOS, then you probably already know that dozens of phones from various OEMs have already received Android 8.0 Oreo based LOS 15 update. The Moto X2, Moto G5 Plus, Xiaomi Mi Mix, etc. a few to name.
And now, the same LOS15 build has been made available for Lenovo’s Vibe K5 & the Vibe K5 Plus as well.
However, do make a note that this won’t a daily driver material since it is not an official release. That said, the future updates should fix most of the bugs in no time. Plus, you get a taste of all the new Oreo features like picture-in-picture, Notification badges, Notification channels, better Always-on display, Instant Apps, Autofill and more.
Considering the fact that Lenovo could take forever to update their devices to this latest version of Android (given that your device is eligible), this certainly is not a bad idea to try LOS 15 and change things up a bit. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and continue reading to know how to update your Lenovo Vibe K5 and K5 Plus.
Lenovo Vibe K5/ K5 Plus LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Lenovo Vibe K5/ K5 Plus (codename: A6020). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Lenovo Vibe K5/ K5 Plus
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download the TWRP recovery for Lenovo Vibe K5/ K5 Plus from here, and install it using the guide here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Vibe K5/ K5 Plus.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Vibe K5/ K5 Plus in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.