After the highly successful Moto X smartphone, Motorola launched its successor, the Moto X2. This particular device was well received in the market and in fact, it also packed really good specs for the price at which it was being offered at.
Back, in the days, Motorola was known for their software support. All the Motorola smartphones had a near stock Android and also, it is worth noting that Motorola used to be next in line for the updates after the Nexus line-up.
However, things have changed now. Although the company still offers a near stock experience, the updates are fairly slow. On the same lines, as far as the Android 8.0 Oreo update is concerned, Motorola is yet to comment on that. With that said, it is highly unlikely that the Moto X2 will receive the Oreo update anytime soon.
In that case, if you still want to get a taste of Oreo, we suggest you go for a third-party custom ROM and currently, the new LineageOS 15 is also available for the Moto X2. Check the link below for LineageOS 15 device list and download for all Android phones and tablets.
→ LineageOS 15 device list and downloads
The LineageOS 15 ROM for Moto X2 gives you a chance to run and install the latest iteration of Android, the 8.0 build. It comes with some exciting new features that you’re gonna like, and even though it’s first build, we expect the development to continue and ROM to become more stable over a course of time. Right now, it’s only fair to expect some bugs with the ROM as the development has just started.
Moto X2 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto X2 (codename: victara). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto X2
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download the TWRP recovery for Moto X2 from here, and install it using the guide here.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto X2.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto X2 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.
‘OnePlus 2 Android 8.0 Oreo update available thanks to LineageOS 15 ROM’
Credit: Anderson Mendes