Google Chrome is the most popular web browser currently on the market. The browser allows you to add multiple extensions which help increase your productivity and workflow. But are you tired of the same mundane new tab page every time? Do want to customize it, add widgets and use images to enhance your experience.
Thankfully, many extensions out there allow you to do exactly this. Let’s take a look at the top 10 new tab extensions for Google Chrome that can help enhance your workflow as well as your visual experience when visiting a new tab.
Infinity New Tab
Infinity New tab is one of the best extensions for your new tabs currently on the Chrome Web Store. It has a minimal aesthetic, customizable background, and tons of widgets to choose from. Infinity tab also shines with the cloud sync feature that allows you to sync all your new tab settings across multiple devices for a clean look and a streamlined workflow. It also has a feature where no matter which URL you click or select, it will be automatically opened in a new tab regardless of the website’s settings. If you’re looking for an all-around new tab extension, then Infinity New Tab is a great choice for you.
- Automatic New Tab launcher when clicking a URL.
- Google Mail Reminders
- Weather Tips
- To-Dos List
- History and App Management
- Built-in Notepad
- HD wallpaper selection for a new tab background.
- Support for search engines: Google, Baidu, and Bing.
- Flat icon design with over 200+ custom icons.
- Cloud sync
- Personalized Search
Looking for a clean and minimal look for your new tab? Don’t care much for widgets? Then SimpTab is the answer to all your prayers. SimpTab has an aesthetically pleasing minimal look with customizable background images where you can even adjust the position and crop of your image to achieve the best possible look. It comes with all the basic features of a new tab extension while making a minimalistic aesthetic its priority. If you wish to be greeted by a pretty and pleasing new tab page every time you browse, then you should definitely try SimpTab.
- Customizable and rotating backgrounds
- Multiple sources to get your background images: Bing, Wallhaven, Unsplash, Flickr, Google Art Project, desktoppr, visualhunt, and simptab collections.
- Bookmarks with dedicated Quickbar
- Top sites section
- Control bar for common actions
- Zen mode and White noise player.
- Custom search, script, and CSS support
- Open Source Project
- Customizable background
- Ability to upload your own backgrounds
- Revamped calendar on new tab page
- To-Do Lists
- Customizable bookmarks
- Browsing session manager
- Dedicated app integration
- Quick access panel
Tab Master 5000
Are you someone who works daily in your web browser? Do you have to manage multiple pages, bookmarks, URLs, and upcoming events? Such a workflow is quite tedious and anything that helps iron out a few steps and clicks is a much welcome addition. Meet, Tab Master 5000, this new tab extension has been rightfully termed as the “Swiss army knife of tabs” on the extensions’ product page. It has tons of customizable features and dedicated session management tools to help keep your workflow organized even in the worst possible scenario.
- Manage tabs with a single click: Close, Pin, Mute, Re-order, remove duplicates, search all at once and sort according to name.
- Automatically suspend tabs that haven’t been used to free up RAM.
- Theme Editor with customizable backgrounds.
- Ability to upload your own backgrounds.
- Customize grid tiles
- Take simultaneous screenshots of all tabs.
- Dedicated session manager: save and restore sessions, sync saved sessions across devices, export and import tabs and sessions, sort and filter your saved sessions or ongoing sessions.
- Dedicated Chrome Management: View and sort, bookmarks, history, apps, extensions, create app shortcuts, dedicated keyboard shortcuts for Tab Master 5000, blacklist unwanted and offensive websites.
Tab activate is a simple new tab extension with just one function in mind, to open your new tabs directly as your current tab. Usually, when you open URLs in new tabs in Google Chrome, they are launched in the background which forces you to manually switch to the page you wish to visit. Tab Active helps solve this problem by making the new tab your current foreground tab. This way you can avoid a few clicks which in turn should help increase your productivity in case you deal with numerous tabs.
- URLs opened in a new tab are switched to the foreground immediately.
- Keyboard shortcut to use traditional tab method.
Clear New Tab
Want to just change the aesthetic of your new tab? Then meet ‘Clear New Tab’! This dedicated chrome extension comes with multiple customizable features and tools that help you revamp the look of your new tab based on your own aesthetic preferences. Clear New Tab stands out for its competitors as it is one of the few extensions focusing solely on aesthetics. This translates into more features and customizations compared to other extensions that wish to juggle the best of both worlds. Let’s take a look at all the features offered by ‘Clear New Tab’.
- Use Chrome Theme background.
- Edit background: Resize, crop, and more.
- Upload your own backgrounds.
- Create a background library that can be cycled.
- Use Random solid colors as your background every time you open a new tab.
Leoh New Tab
Leoh New Tab is an award-winning extension that is lightweight, well designed, and optimized for Google Chrome. It focuses on a minimalistic aesthetic appeal while offering you all the productivity tools you will ever need for your browser. Leoh New tab also comes with a cloud sync feature that helps synchronize your look and settings across all your signed-in devices. Here are the top features offered by Leoh New Tab that help it stand out from the crowd.
- Cloud sync across all devices
- Google Calendar integration
- To-Do Lists
- Custom background image and color support
- Zen mode with serene video backgrounds
- Ability to create custom image albums for your background
- Goal: Set a custom goal for yourself.
- Apps, Bookmarks, and history integration.
- Switch between dedicated themes.
- Weather forecast and in-built notepad.
Infinite Dashboard is the best offering for users that are looking for a productivity-focused extension that does not compromise on aesthetics. Infinite dashboard has a clean looking, minimalistic and customizable UI that helps appeal to most users. It focuses on integrating things like Google Apps, widgets, and more to your new tab page so that you can keep up to date with all your work with a single glance. Here are the top features offered by Infinite Dashboard.
- Easy bookmark manager
- App integration: Google Services, Apple services, Instant messengers like Whatsapp.
- Games Integration: 2048, Super Mario, Doodle Jump, and more.
- Session manager: Save and reopen saved sessions.
- To-Do Lists and Notepad
- Customizable backgrounds with the ability to upload your own images.
- Customize app layout and search.
G Suite New Tab
As the name suggests, the G Suite New tab is a new tab extension focusing on G-Suite offerings. You can access all your G-Suite apps with a single click on the new tab page and even add more apps and widgets to increase your productivity. It offers a clean look to match G Suite offerings and is very lightweight with a size of only 488KB. If you’re just looking for a simple extension with all the functions that do not take a huge hit on your system’s RAM then the G Suite new tab extension might be the best choice for you.
- Choose from Light or Dark Theme
- Bookmark organizer
- Customize background color.
- Customize App Layout
- Dedicated hotkeys for popular apps and services
- Customizable tiles.
- Ability to create custom shortcuts
- Search websites directly using Shortcuts
Awesome New Tab Page
Are you unhappy with the limited customizations offered by most of these extensions when it comes to changing your new tab aesthetic? Then check out the ‘Awesome New Tab Page’ extension. It features dynamic widgets, dedicated customizable tiles, ability to create your own shortcuts and resize almost all tiles and widgets. If you are looking to get your hands dirty and create your own unique look for a New Tab Page, then you should definitely check out Awesome New Tab Page.
- Dynamic Widgets
- Add, remove and move tiles.
- Create custom shortcuts and bookmarks
- Search websites using your shortcut
- Resize elements: apps, shortcuts, and widgets (only some)
New Tab Studio
Here is a bonus new tab extension for you called New Tab Studio. New Tab Studio is recommended for users unable to decide between productivity and aesthetics. New Tab Studio manages to offer you the best of both worlds. You get to-do lists, habit trackers, customizable dashboards, dedicated timers, and much more. Here’s a list of all the aesthetic and productivity features you get with New Tab Studio in Chrome.
- Habit tracker
- Clock and date widgets
- Countdown, Countup timers
- Dedicated text box.
- Image to create your own vision, GSD, goal, or mood board.
- Workspace switcher to manage multiple experiences.
- Dedicated bookmarks manager, search bar, and top sites.
- To-do lists
- Customizable backgrounds
- Dedicated section for Google Sites.
- IFrame integration: Currency converter, Stocks, Chess, Facts, Dictionary, News, Trello, Asana, Jira, Reddit, Google Calendar, Youtube, Facebook, and more.
We hope this guide helped you find a decent extension to help improve your new tab experience in Google Chrome. If you face any issues or have any questions, feel free to drop them in the comments below.
- How to Get and Use Vertical Tabs on Google Chrome
- What Is Dualless Extension And How To Use It?
- How to install Chrome Extensions on your child’s Chromebook under Family Link
- How To Freeze Your Screen or Camera on Google Meet