Xiaomi’s smartphones, especially the ones that retail in China do not have Play Store and Play Services installed by default. And that applies to Xiaomi Mi6, too. This is kind of a bummer for someone looking for the complete Android experience.
Even though Xiaomi provides you a way to install Apps and Games, which is obvious, you may want to install the Google Play Store and Google Play Services for better experience, especially when you’re using it outside China.
Thankfully, it is possible to install the suite of Google apps separately on MIUI 8. The .zip file linked down below contains all the essential apps from Google, like Gmail, Calendar, Google Photos, Drive, etc.
How to install GApps for Mi6
- Download the Mi6 Gapps file from here.
- Extract the .zip file and move the AllBackup folder to “Internal storage\MIUI\backup” in your device. (If the backup folder isn’t there, then create one).
- Next, head over to Settings » Additional settings and tap on Backup & reset.
- Select the Local backup option.
- You will find the backup folder that you copied to your device here. Select it and then tap on Restore.
- The restore process will take some time. Once it’s done, you can tap on Finish.
- Simply reboot your Mi6 and you will find the Play Store app icon on your home screen. All Google Play Services will also work fine too.
If you’re facing any trouble on the same issue, feel free to let us know in the comment section down below.
Source: MIUI Forums