Alongside the Watch Series 8 and the new Watch SE, Apple has introduced the Watch Ultra – a device designed as a rugged alternative to the Watch Series 8. Apple claims the Watch Ultra has been developed as an ultimate sports watch that can be used for activities as well as for adventures and backpacking trips. But how rugged is the Watch Ultra? What are its maximum limits? That’s what we’ll explain in this post.
What are the maximum limits of the Apple Watch Ultra?
Apple claims that the Watch Ultra is designed to withstand the most extreme of conditions when you’re out on an adventure. Here are all the things that make the Watch Ultra a rugged smartwatch:
- The Watch Ultra is tested to MIL-STD 810H3 military standard. This standard is compliant for low-pressure conditions, Temperature Shock, high/low temperatures, freezing or rainy conditions, shock, and vibration.
- Water resistant to up to 100 meters.
- The peak brightness of 2000 nits makes the watch better viewable under direct sunlight.
- An inbuilt siren that can emit an 86-decibel sound that can be heard at up to 180 meters or 600 feet away.
- Certified with WR100 and EN13319 standards for diving.
- Can measure real-time underwater depth and temperature up to 40 meters or 130 feet.
- Can survive harshest temperatures ranging anywhere between -20° C and 55° C (-4° F and 131° F).
- Lasts 60 hours on low power
- Detects up to 256 g-forces for Fall and Crash detection.
Other features of Watch Ultra to know:
- Dual speakers with 40% more volume than Watch Series 8.
- Three-microphone array that can hear your voice against wind noise.
- A precision dual-frequency GPS provides accurate coordinates in any condition.
- Built with a 49mm aerospace-grade titanium case and flat sapphire front crystal to protect from impacts and falls.
- IP6X dust resistance prevents dust from getting inside the Watch Ultra.
- An extra Action button provides an easy way to start workouts, mark waypoints, and backtrack to another location.
With the Watch Ultra, Apple has finally created a new category for its smartwatches; the ones that are durable and rugged. The Watch Ultra should compete with the likes of Garmin Fenix, Garmin Instinct, and other offerings from Suunto and Casio G-Shock.
That’s all you need to know about what makes the Apple Watch Ultra suitable for rugged use.