HTC Evo 4G owners can get a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0.3 on their devices, thanks to Deck’s ICS ROM. It is an AOSP based custom ROM and as is the case with most AOSP based ROMs these days, gives you the chance to use Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone before the official update hits the air (if it ever does).
Deck’s ICS ROM, developed by RootzWiki developer deck (now you know where the ROM gets its name from), is currently a work in progress and is in the alpha stage at this point, so it’s by no means completely stable and not suitable for daily use. So do expect bugs and issues to be present in the ROM, as it’s still in its early development stages.
Let’s see how we can flash Deck’s ICS ROM on the HTC Evo 4G.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Evo 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → deck
- Camera preview, etc.
- Gallery edit, causes a FC due to out of memory.
- Rooted HTC Evo 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Deck’s ICS on HTC Evo 4G
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- The ROM comes sans Google Apps like Market, Gmail, etc. So, download the Google Apps add-on package too:
Download link | Filename: gapps.ics.02132012.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and 2 to the root of your external microSD card on the HTC Evo 4G.
- Boot into Clockworkmod recovery. (Use Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate, and the power button to select options in recovery.)
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » then on the next screen, select Backup again.
- Select ”wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm data wipe. (This does not touch your SD cards, so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse to the ROM file on your SD card and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps.ics.02132012.zip instead of the ROM file, to install the Google apps.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot into ICS.
Wait for a while for the phone to boot up, then enjoy using Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on your HTC Evo 4G. Follow the original development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.