Unlocking the bootloader on Google Pixel devices is the simplest thing ever. Android devices from other manufacturers are often harder to unlock bootloader on, but the fact that Google meant the Nexus (now Pixel) series to be developer friendly is the reason why you can easily unlock bootloader on Pixel phones and tablets.
Why Unlock Bootloader on Pixel? By unlocking bootloader on your Pixel or Pixel 2 phone, you enable a world of possibilities on your device. Check out the list below:
- Install / Flash Factory Image via Fastboot.
- Install / Flash a custom recovery like TWRP.
- Get root with SuperSU zip.
- Install Custom ROMs, MODs and other such stuff.
- Rescue device from soft-brick.
Note: Unlocking the bootloader on your Google Pixel device will void its warranty completely delete/wipe all data on the device. Make sure you backup your important data like Photos, Videos, Music and other files on the device to a safe place.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Pixel and Pixel 2
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock on your Pixel device.
- Connect your Pixel device to the PC with a USB cable.
- Open a command window on your PC.
- Boot your Pixel device into bootloader mode using the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
└ You may get a request to authorize USB debugging on the device, accept it.
- Once your dveice is in bootloader mode, issue the following command to unlock bootloader:
fastboot flashing unlock
- You’ll get a confirmation screen on your Pixel device. Press Volume Up button to highlight Yes and press Power button to select it. This will begin bootloader unlocking process, which shouldn’t last more than couple of minutes.
- Once bootloader is unlocked, your device will reboot into bootloader mode. You need to boot into system now, either press Power button to reboot OR issue the following command:
- During reboot, your Pixel device will go through a factory reset and then finally boot into system.
That’s all. Your Pixel device’s bootloader is now unlocked.