Like any other big-name smartphone OEM, Nokia is at the MWC 2018 to unveil its latest smartphone portfolio that has been highlighted by the company’s jump to Google’s Android One program.
Yes, you read that right! Starting with the newly announced Nokia 8 Sirocco, Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 6 2018, you’ll be getting a pure Android version in the shape of Android One. This means several things: timely software updates, OS upgrades for at least two years, Google Play Protect, Google’s entire suite of apps comes preinstalled and there’s support for unlimited storage with Google Photos, a luxury that Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ buyers will also get to enjoy. Also, HMD has a new phone under the Android Go program – the Nokia 1.
In quick succession, let’s take a look at each one of the all-new (not per se) Nokia smartphones from the MWC.
Nokia 8 Sirocco
HMD says the Nokia 8 Sirocco is a true flagship that Nokia fans have been waiting for. The phone’s major highlight, of course, is the curved 5.5-inch edge-to-edge pOLED display screen that meets the curved glass back at a 2mm thick edge that features a twofold diamond polished stainless steel chamfer. Remember the Galaxy S7 Edge or the S6 Edge handsets before it? Well, the Nokia 8 Sirocco is more of this.
Here’re the specs:
- Android 8.0 Oreo
- 5.5-inch 16:9 QHD pOLED screen with 3D Gorilla Glass 5
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- 6GB RAM and 128GB storage with microSD card slot (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Dual 12MP (wide-angle lens with f/1.75 aperture) + 13MP (telephoto lens with f/2.6 aperture) camera by Carl Zeiss optics, dual-tone LED flash, PDAF, 2x optical zoom and 2160p video recording. You also get Bothies feature for simultaneously capturing shots using both the front and rear cameras.
- Ultra-sensitive wide-angle (84 degrees) 5MP selfie camera with f/2.0 aperture and 1080p video recording
- 3260mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0 and Qi wireless charging
- Extras include Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, rear-mounted scanner, and no 3.5mm audio jack
- 140.93 x 72.97 x 7.5 mm.
For more on the Nokia 8 Sirocco, including pricing and availability details, click here.
Nokia 7 Plus
For those who had gotten a chance to see the Nokia 7, the Plus model looks exactly as you’d expect – a refined version of the OG model. It’s smaller in size but with a bigger screen with rounded edges and more superior specs as listed below.
- Android 8.0 Oreo
- 6-inch 18:9 IPS LCD full HD+ display (1080 x 2160 pixels) with Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660
- 4GB RAM and 64GB storage with microSD card slot
- Dual 12MP (1.4µm, f/1.75 aperture, 2PD, with ZEISS optics) + 13MP (1.0µm, f/2.6 aperture with ZEISS optics) main camera with dual-tone LED flash, 2x optical Zoom and dual pixel PDAF
- 16MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture and Zeiss optics
- 3800mAh battery with fast charging
- Extras include Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB-C, 3.5mm audio jack, rear-mounted scanner
- 158 x 75.64 x 7.99 mm
More Nokia 7 Plus coverage here.
Nokia 6 2018
Like the original Nokia 6, the 2018 edition started selling in China back in January, but it’s finally going to be available across the globe. Even though we have already highlighted the Nokia 6 2018 in details, here’s a recap of the specs you’ll be getting on the phone.
- Android 8.0 Oreo (Android One)
- 5.5-inch 16:9 LCD display with full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) and Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630
- 3GB RAM and 32GB storage or 4GB RAM and 64GB storage (expandable via microSD card)
- 16MP main camera with f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, dual-tone LED flash and Zeiss optics
- 8MP selfie shooter with f/2.0 aperture
- 3000mAh battery with fast charging (50% in 30 minutes)
- Extras include Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, 3.5mm audio jack, USB-C and rear-mounted scanner
- 148.8 x 75.8 x 8.15 mm
Nokia 1 is the first HMD phone under the new Android Go platform, which went live late last year alongside Android 8.1 Oreo. With this in mind, this is the device that has the latest OS and it’s not part of Android One.
The catch here is that you get entry-level specs, but this is exactly where Android Oreo Go edition is meant to be. Here’re the specs.
- Android 8.1 Oreo (Go edition)
- 4.5-inch FWVGA IPS display with a resolution of 480 x 854 pixels
- 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, expandable up to 128GB
- 5MP camera on the back with LED flash and 2MP shooter for selfies
- 2150mAh battery
- Extras include Bluetooth 4.2, microUSB 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, ambient light sensor, g-sensor and proximity sensor
- 133.6 x 67.8 x 9.5 mm
All four phones will be available starting April 2018, where the Nokia 8 Sirocco will trade at €749, Nokia 7 Plus at €399, Nokia 6 2018 at €279 and Nokia 1 at just €85.