January 21, 2019: Users of the Huawei P9 are receiving a new EMUI 188.8.131.520 update that brings about improvements to the devices battery management settings. After the update, users will get a prompt when power-intensive apps are open and they can choose to close these apps. The update also adds the battery report feature.
Being an OTA update, it may take several days before all Huawei P9 handsets receive the download notification, so be patient.
January 09, 2019: Huawei is rolling out a huge EMUI 184.108.40.2069 update to the P9 in China – an update whose changes (some) are also expected to arrive on the global variant of the device. Having already upgraded it to Android Oreo back in 2018, Huawei is now looking to make the P9 even better by not only improving the security patch level and fixing annoying bugs, but also adding new features to the 2016 handset.
Here is the full changelog:
- Users can now press the power button five times in a row to activate Emergency SOS
- Adds support for WeChat (v6.7.3 or later) fingerprint payment
- Standardizes app permissions and behaviors to reduce privacy risks and disturbance
- Adds support for the Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Adds the fixed 4-digit and 6-digit lock screen PIN options.
- Fixes the issue where Find My Phone would occasionally fail at night
- After the update, the screen will not turn off as long as it recognizes there is a face in the viewfinder
- Prompts the user when a recording has been finished successfully. Touch it to go to the recording
- Improves call answering performance in Baidu and AutoNavi navigation.
- Improves the launch speed of certain mainstream apps
- Installs December 2018 security patches
So far, the update has been confirmed for Huawei P9 variants with model numbers EVA-AL00, EVA-AL10, EVA-DL00, EVA-TL00, and EVA-CL00. You’ll have to be on EMUI 220.127.116.11 in order to be eligible for the new update, so make sure to upgrade to the required version before you even think of EMUI 18.104.22.1689.
Original article below:
Huawei P9 was the company’s flagship offering in 2016 and like always, it was expected that it will receive at least two OS upgrades. Besides major OS upgrades, this page also contains info on other official software updates directed towards the Huawei P9 and P9 Plus handsets, notably, Android security patches, bug fixes, and performance improvements.
Huawei P9 update timeline
|Date||EMUI version & Android OS||Changelog|
|21 Jan 2019||22.214.171.1240 | Android 8.0||Adds a prompt when power-intensive apps are open where users can choose to close them and adds the battery report feature|
|24 Dec 2018||126.96.36.1999 | Android 8.0||Users can now press the power button five times in a row to activate Emergency SOS, Standardizes app permissions and behaviors to reduce privacy risks and disturbance, December 2018 security patch, and more|
|24 July 2018||188.8.131.528 | Android 8.0||Installs Android 8.0 Oreo update, July 2018 security patches, and more|
Huawei P9 Android 9 Pie update
- Not eligible for Android 9 Pie update
Huawei P9 was unveiled in early 2016 and came preinstalled with Android Marshmallow. With the update to Android 8.0 Oreo, it marked the end of the road for the device with respect to major OS upgrades. With that said, don’t expect an official Android 9 Pie update from Huawei, but of course, you can always turn to custom ROMs if you really need Pie on your P9.