Almost all of Motorola devices released since 2013 are bootloader unlock capable and the Moto G 2015 is no different.
However, unlocking the bootloader on Moto devices isn’t as easy as it’s on Nexus devices. Motorola has its own custom setup in place to allow bootloader unlock on its devices, and it takes a little more effort than just issuing a simple command fastboot oem unlock.
Below are detailed instruction to unlock bootloader on your Moto G 2015. The process may seem pretty long, but it’s easy to follow. If you find yourself stuck somewhere though during the process, do let us know in comments section below the instrcutions.
Moto G 2015 Bootloader Unlock
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC, for help use this link [icon name=”external-link” class=”” unprefixed_class=””].
- Go to Motorola Bootloader Unlock website – link [icon name=”external-link” class=”” unprefixed_class=””].
- If you don’t know risks involved with unlocking bootloader, give a good read to the page before you click the “Next” button at the bottom on Motorola’s link.
- You’ll be asked sign-in using your Motorola account. If you don’t have an account, use the “Sign up a Motorola ID” link OR simply login with your Google account using the “Sign in with Google” button.
- You’ll now get to the “Unlock your bootloader” page on Motorola site. Leave it opened for now, we’ll get back to it in Step 10 below.
- Now boot your Moto G 2015 into Bootloader/Fastboot mode.
- Once your phone is in Bootloader mode, connect it to PC.
- Open a command window on your PC and issue the following command:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
└ This will generate a string that will be used to retrieve your unlock key. Check the example string below:
Example string: (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Now line-by-line, copy the 5 strings into one line. Do NOT include the (bootloader) text. Your complete string will look as shown in example below:
Example string: 0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000
└ This is an example. The string you’ll generate will be different and it’ll be unique for your device only.
- Once you have the complete string ready, paste it inside the box in Step 6 on the Motorola page which you opened in Step 5 above, and hit the “Can my device be unlocked?” button (check the image below).
- Your unique string will now be processed and if your device is unlockable, a “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Scroll down, accept the legal agreement and warning by selecting the “I Agree” box, and then hit the blue “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button.
- You’ll now receive an email with your unlock key. The email will be sent to the email account you used to sign in on the Motorola site.
└ In case you don’t see an email in your inbox, be sure to check your Spam folder as well.
- Copy the unlock key you received in email. And issue the following command via command on your PC to your Moto G 2015 (which is connected to PC in Bootloader mode)
fastboot oem unlock paste-your-unlock-key-here
└ Replace paste-your-unlock-key-here text in the command above with your 20 character alpha numeric unlock key.
- Your Moto G 2015 will now confirm the bootloader unlock and automatically reboot the device.
Cheers! You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Moto G 2015.