Back in the day when the very first OnePlus One was released, it took the Android community by storm. Not only did the device become a favorite among developers due to its native CyanogenMod-based OS, but due to the fact that it offered more in terms of hardware and software than any other flagship, while costs hundreds of dollars less.
With the release of OnePlus 6, the “flagship killer” attitude is still alive, with one or two features such as wireless charging and stereo speakers missing. While there is no way of getting the wireless charging feature on the OnePlus 6, you’ll be surprised to know that there’s a tweak to gain stereo surround sound on the device.
This functionality comes as a courtesy from XDA user pankspoo, who discovered a mod for the OnePlus 6 that helps turn the earpiece of the device into a secondary speaker, thus successfully creating a surround sound effect.
The mod is only possible on OnePlus 6 devices with root access and Magisk systemless root installed.
- OnePlus 6 with Magisk systemless root installed (view guide here).
- OnePlus 6 stereo speaker .zip file for Magisk. (download Link).
- Optional: FrancoKernel for OnePlus 6 installed for better audio tweaking support (TWRP guide).
How to get stereo sound on OnePlus 6
Warning: The mod has been tested by multiple users and approved to work on the OnePlus 6, but not everyone has had the same amount of success using it. Since this is not officially supported by OnePlus, long usage of earpiece as a secondary stereo speaker may affect the hardware, so only use this as a test and proceed at your own risk.
- Download the stereo speaker .zip file, OP6-Stereo_Magisk_re.zip, using the link above.
- Transfer the file to the internal storage of your OnePlus 6.
- Install the OP6-Stereo_Magisk_re.zip using Magisk.
- Open the Magisk Installer app on your OnePlus 6 and press the three-line menu icon on the top-left corner.
- Select Modules and press the + icon to find the OP6-Stereo_Magisk_re.zip from the directory and Reboot once it is installed.
- Install the Viper4Android Module from the Magisk Installer app.
- Open Magisk and head over to Downloads to search for Viper4Android FX Materialized (v1.6.9).
Install it, follow the on-screen instructions and Reboot the device.
- Open the Viper4Android app and make sure that you enable the Master Power switch at the very top.
That’s all there is to it!
Once you have these Magisk modules installed and running, the earpiece will become a secondary speaker for your OnePlus 6 and offer stereo surround sound.