LeWa OS is a new Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread custom ROM that seems to have appeared on the radar of many custom ROM developers, as it has made its way onto 2 or 3 devices in a very short span of time. Now, LeWa OS has been ported to the Galaxy S, thanks to XDA developer barome. LeWa OS combines CM7 and MIUI ROMs, and provides a blend of features from both. Some features include data monitoring, downloadable themes and lockscreens, power saving, lockscreen animations and notifications, and more, along with fast performance and smoothness.
So, get your Galaxy S out and read on to find out how you can install LeWa OS on your Galaxy S i9000. Oh, and don’t mind the Chinese text in the image above, the ROM is in English.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number i9000. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Developer → barome
How to Install LeWa OS on Galaxy S i9000
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Flash the stock XXJW4 firmware by using → this guide.
- Root XXJW4 to obtain Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) by using → this guide.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Lewa rom for Galaxy S doesn’t have Google Apps like Gmail, Gtalk, Google Play Store, etc. inside it. So download the Google apps too, called gapps, from the link given at the above step no. 5. Link has been provided by the developer besides the rom’s link.
- Transfer both the downloaded zip files — rom file and gapps file — to the internal SD card (not the micro SD).
- Turn off your Galaxy S and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The Lewa rom has been flashed on your Galaxy S now. It’s time to flash Google App aka gapps file. Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now go and select the gapps file that you downloaded in step 6. Select Yes on next screen to start flashing the gapps file.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone.
The LeWa OS ROM is now installed on your Galaxy S. Visit the original development page to get more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.