7-inch Android Tablets anticipated to grab 70% market share among all tablets except iPads

The Google Nexus 7 by Asus redefined the general approach that a 7″ tablet could not be as good as a conventional 10 inch one. Amazon’s Kindle Fire HD further added to the popularity of 7-inch slates, and today, given the booming sales, augmented further by Google’s announcement of the Nexus 7 32GB, and the Nexus 7 3G, Android based 7-inchers are expected to capture at least 70% of the the tablet market, excluding the iPad. And according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers, The remaining 30% is expected to be shared by the 10-inch Android tablets, and Microsoft’s new Windows 8/RT products.

It is also expected that there could be a significant drop in demand for Android based 10-inch tablets, given the inclination to go for a 7-inch tablet, as well as the introduction of Microsoft products into the 10-inch space. Future 10-inch offerings will either have to offer something unique and solid in terms of features, like the Nexus 10, or would have to be priced a lot more competitively to survive.

The Chinese market, which forms one of the largest consumer base for high-tech products, is seeing biggies such as Lenovo, Asus and Samsung engaged in cut-throat competition against local players who are able to offer similar offerings at extremely competitive pricing. Top manufacturers, however, are still planning to cash in on the 7-inch boom and launch tablets in the CNY1000 ($160) price range, to able to successfully compete with the local boys.

Asustek, they guys who gave us the Nexus 7, are said to be working on a new 7-inch model for launch  in Q1-2013. Asus would be eager to replicate its success with the Nexus 7, with this new product for China, and surge ahead towards its goal of 10 million tablets in 2013.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *