Easily remembered as one of the worst flagship Android device Samsung has ever produced, the Galaxy S5 — if you still have one around — just got a taste of Oreo update via a custom ROM.
It’s the LineageOS 15 custom ROM BTW, which is based on Android 8.0 and is available for bunch of devices already — check out our LineageOS 15 release page here where we have covered ROM’s availability and download links for variety of devices.
Not many Samsung devices occupy that list at the moment BTW, which shows how much the custom development has slowed down on Samsung devices in past few years — mostly because of Samsung, who doesn’t care enough to share the kernel sources developers need to make their work come good.
We think there is an Oreo update for Galaxy S6 in the works too, but nothing concrete on that for now.
Samsung Oreo release plans are not available at the moment, but the Galaxy S8 is said to have a Android 8.0 build under testing at Samsung, and we expect the build to come out officially as beta for public really soon.
Note: This is an untested LineageOS 15 ROM for the Galaxy S5, hence it may contain various bugs and issues that would make it not suitable for daily use. We would recommend our users to wait for a nightly build for the Galaxy S5, but that could take about 3-4 months of release.
Samsung Galaxy S5 LineageOS 15.0 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Galaxy S5 (codename: klte). Do not try this on any other device as you may end up bricking your device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
How to Install the LineageOS 15.0 on Samsung Galaxy S5
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. In case you do not have it, download and install the TWRP recovery for the Galaxy S5 from using this guide.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Galaxy S5.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Galaxy S5 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.