The Nokia 6.1 Plus is a great smartphone in its respective price segment. Even though the Nokia 6.1 Plus might not pack in the absolute best specification in the price range, having an almost stock Android like experience makes up for few of the missing features which you might find with other OEM skins such as Xiaomi‘s MIUI.
HMD Global has really stepped up their game in terms of pricing and specifications offered on their devices this year. What’s even better is the fact that the latest Android 9 Pie is available for Nokia 6.1 Plus users via an OTA update. Even though Android 9 Pie had been launched a couple months ago, there are still only a few devices on the market which have received the Android 9 Pie update.
If you haven’t received the update via OTA on your Nokia 6.1 Plus or are looking to flash the update to your device for a fresh start, then you’ve come to the right place. Let’s take a look at how to manually install Android 9 Pie on the Nokia 6.1 Plus.
Note: Before beginning the update be sure to have more than 30% battery on your device or plug the device into a power source to avoid bricking your smartphone in case the battery dies out while in the update process.
Method 1: Using system update
This is the most simple way to install the Android 9 Pie update on your Nokia 6.1 Plus, simply follow the few steps and you’ll be rocking the Android 9 Pie update on your device within no time at all.
- Download the OTA zip file.
- Rename the downloaded package to DRG-330B-0-00WW-B01-update.zip (this step is necessary).
- Place the .zip file in the root folder of your device [outside all folders].
- Open the dialer app (Phone app) and dial this *#*#874#*#* to get activate system option for OTA update installation.
- Wait for the update to finish and restart when prompted.
Wait for the device to reboot and you would be able to use Android 9 Pie on your Nokia 6.1 Plus.
Check out: How to root Nokia 6.1
Method 2: Using ADB
This method might be a little trickier than the previous method, however, if you follow the steps below, then there should be absolutely no problem at all.
- Install ADB and fastboot driver.
- Download the Nokia 6.1 plus Android Pie OTA zip file on your PC.
- Now, move the OTA zip file to the same location where you have installed ADB and Fastboot driver (normally, it is the adb folder under the C driver).
- Press and hold Shift key + right-click in a black space inside the folder > Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Turn off your Nokia 6.1 Plus.
- You would have to boot the device into recovery mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down on the Power Key and Volume Down Key. Let go of the Power Key when you see the Nokia logo, however, keep the Volume Down Key pressed until the device has booted into recovery mode.
- Scroll down to the option ‘Apply update from ADB’ using the Volume keys > press the Power button to select it.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Verify the connection status of your device over ADB by entering the command given below:adb devices
- Now enter the following command to sideload the OTA zip file to install Android Pie on Nokia 6.1 plusadb sideload DRG-330B-0-00WW-B01-update.zip
- After the installation process finishes, go back to recovery menu and select ‘Reboot system now’ to restart the device.
- That’s it. Once the device finishes rebooting, you would be greeted with Android 9 Pie on board your Nokia 6.1 Plus.
We hope the guide helped you to install the Android 9 Pie update on your Nokia 6.1 Plus. If you face any problem while updating to Android 9 Pie, then do let us know in the comments below.