UPDATE: Here’s the new and improved version of ClockWorkMod Recovery for Droid RAZR.
Okay, this is good. Development has picked up pretty nicely for Motorola Droid Razr, also dubbed as Motorola Razr outside of US. Only hours earlier we had the Root tool out for Razr and now custom recovery (that is, clockworkmod recovery) is available too, although in beta version. But that’s still so good — the phone got released in US today only, man!
Before you go on to install recovery on your Motorola Droid Razr (or Motorola Razr, it’s working for both phones), know that it isn’t a fully working recovery and there are some bugs — mentioned below:
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won�t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Recovery is not designed for this device, Currently Nandroiding does not backup /system, but backs up /data,
Usb mounting is not working
flashing from .zip works for /data
Manual Method to Install ClockWorkMod Recovery
- Root your Droid Razr (it’s easy and absolutely required).
- Download this APK (it’s the bootstrap application for Razr’s cousin, Droid Bionic, and works pretty much on Droid Razr too). Filename – BionicBootstrap.apk. Size – 3033 KB.
- On phone, go to Settings > Applications > Select the ‘Unknown sources’ checkbox. Press OK when asked. Press Home key and get to home screen.
- Connect your phone to PC with USB cable and transfer the BionicBootstrap.apk to your phone
- Download, install and open the file manager on your Razr and go to location where you transferred the file in step 4 above.
- Go to BionicBootstrap.apk and tap on it to begin its installation.
- After it’s installed, open the app from app drawer.
- You’ll see ‘Bootstrap Recovery’ button – hit it and the recovery installation will begin.
- After it’s done, press recovery and boot into clockworkmod (CWM) recovery mode from where you can take backups, flash ROMs, themes, etc.
- [Optional] Share your thoughts with us in comments below.
Navigating in CWM ClockWorkMod recovery: Use Razr’s soft keys. To scroll up and Down in CWM recovery mode, use Menu and Home keys respectively. Use Back key to go back (to last screen) and Search key to select an option/menu.
You can find the development thread for this here, where you can also see what other users are talking about, and discuss your problems and suggestions too. Thanks to FrAsErTaG, again.
Cheers to awesome devs!