AOSP based Marshmallow ROMs are now popping out for more devices than we imagined. The Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos from 2013 is the latest to get a taste of Android 6.0, thanks to pawitp over at xda.
Galaxy Grand Duos is a mid-range phone from 2013, it’s only obvious that Samsung won’t be looking forward to release Marshmallow to it, matterfact, it never even released Lollipop for the device.
But thanks to the device’s popularity, the custom development continues to support the device for latest and freshest releases of Android. It has only been a few days since Google released the source code for Android 6.0 to AOSP, and we already have a Marshmallow ROM for Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L). Brilliant!
Since this is the first release of Marshmallow ROM for Grand Duos, you’d expect it to come with plenty of bugs, which it indeed has, but most important stuff like Camera, Sound, GPS, WiFi, Sensors, Audio & Video playback are working fine on the ROM. The only important stuff not working on the ROM is lack of RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data) and Dual SIM support.
We’re pretty sure the issues will be ironed out soon, pawitp is a brilliant developer. Until then, if your Grand Duos isn’t your daily driver you may try installing the ROM and get a feel of the latest of Android.
You can grab the AOSP based Marshmallow ROM for Grand Duos and compatible Marshmallow Gapps package from the downloads section below. Flash the ROM with a factory reset + Wipe cache & dalvik cache.
[icon name=”download” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Download Grand Duos 2 Marshmallow ROM
[icon name=”download” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow Gapps
- Make sure you’ve bootloader from stock Android 4.2 firmware installed on the device. If not sure, flash the stock Android 4.2 firmware first.
└ Tip: If you are coming from CM 10.1 or a stock ROM prior to 4.2, you need to upgrade to Stock Android 4.2 firmware first.
- Make sure you’ve CWM recovery with SELinux support installed. If not, get it from this link and flash it to your Grand Duos 2 with the help of this Guide.
- Download and transfer Marshmallow ROM file and Gapps package to your device’s internal storage.
- Factory reset and Wipe cache & dalvik cache.
- Flash both the ROM file and Gapps package.
- Reboot phone.
That’s all. Your Galaxy Grand Duos should be running Android 6.0 Marshmallow now.