Odin is a PC software used internally at all Samsung service centers for updating/flashing Firmware to Samsung devices. This software was never meant to go public but thanks to the growing world of Samsung’s Galaxy devices, Odin is now used by general users for all sorts of things like flashing stock Samsung ROMs, custom kernels and custom recoveries like TWRP.
For the unknown, TWRP recovery is a custom recovery developed and maintained by the folks over at TeamWin. Using TWRP, you can take full device (nandroid) backups, plus install/flash rooting scripts like SuperSU, Custom ROMs/MODs and other similar stuff.
TWRP recovery is available as both official and unofficial builds because it’s an open source project and anyone with knowledge can compile the recovery for any Android device.
You can download TWRP recovery for your device from TeamWin’s official repository for the recovery. And in case you don’t find your device listed there, do a search for it on our website once. We cover both official and unofficial TWRP builds from various Android community forums such as XDA on a regular basis. So you might find an unofficial TWRP build for your device on our site.
Note: Make sure to get the .tar file of TWRP recovery for your Samsung device to be able to flash/install using Odin.
How to Flash TWRP recovery using Odin
- Unzip the Odin 3.12.3 .zip file and run/open Odin3 v3.12.3.exe file from the extracted files on your PC.
- Make sure you’ve downloaded a Odin flashable TWRP recovery .tar file compatible for your device.
- (If applicable) Enable OEM unlock:
- Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options.
- Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there.
- Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it.
- Boot your device into Download mode:
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
- Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.
- Once your device is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message.
- Now click on the AP tab on Odin window and select the TWRP recovery .tar file that you downloaded for your device.
└ Note: DON’T play with any other options on the screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the TWRP recovery .tar file in the AP tab.
- Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
- Your device will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device.
How to boot into TWRP recovery on a Samsung Galaxy device
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and as soon as you see your device’ logo on-screen, release three buttons altogether. Your device will boot into TWRP recovery.