|Stablity||Stable, without any issues.|
|Compatibility||Compatible with Android 5.0 and 4.4.2|
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
GUIDE: INSTALL TWRP ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 SM-G900F
Before you begin with the instructions below, make sure your android device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be SM-G900F!
Please know that this page is meant only for Samsung Galaxy S5. Please DO NOT try the procedures given here on EXYNOS running variants of the Galaxy S5 or on any other device of Samsung or any other company. You have been Warned!
STEP 1: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
STEP 2: INSTALL LATEST DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully flash recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Samsung device on your computer.
STEP 3: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Download the files given below and transfer it to a separate folder on your computer (just to keep things tidy, that is).
1. RECOVERY TAR FILE
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: twrp-220.127.116.11-klte.img.tar (11.9 MB)
For latest version of the Image file, check the original page →
2. ODIN ZIP FILE
Odin PC software — Link | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
Example video: If you haven’t used Odin before to flash a file on your phone before, then we suggest you first watch a video of that to get familiar with the process. The video demonstrates flashing of a Recovery on Galaxy S3, but since the procedure is same, the video will help: Click here to watch the video
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing the TWRP Recovery, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Extract/Unzip the Odin zip file on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably) to get Odin file.
- Download the latest .tar file from the downloads section.
- Disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S5 from PC if it is connected.
- Double-click the Odin file to open Odin.
- Boot your Galaxy S5 SM-G900F into Download Mode:
- Power off your phone first. Wait for 6-7 seconds after display is off.
- Press and hold these 3 buttons together until you see Warning! screen: Volume Down + Power + Home.
- Press Volume Up now to continue to Download Mode.
└ For alternative ways to boot into download mode, check out this page → Samsung Galaxy S5 Download Mode.
- Connect your Galaxy S5 to PC. Odin window will show an Added!! message in bottom left box. Odin’s screen would look like this:
If you don’t get the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure you have installed driver for Galaxy S5 as said above in ‘Before you begin..’ section.
- If you have already installed driver, then uninstall them and reinstall back.
- Connect using a different USB port on your PC.
- Try a different USB cable. The original cable that came with your phone should work best, if not, try any other cable that’s new and of good quality.
- Reboot your phone and PC and then try again.
- Load the recovery file in .tar form into Odin as instructed below:
- Now in the Option section of Odin, make sure that Re-Partition box is unchecked. (Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes remain checked, while all other boxes remain unchecked.)
- Double check the above two steps. (Step 7 and Step 8)
- Click the Start button to begin flashing, and wait until you see a PASS! message in Odin’s top left box.
- When you get PASS! message, your device will restart automatically. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
If you see FAIL message instead of the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Samsung Galaxy S5 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 2 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Samsung Galaxy S5 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 2 of this guide again.
NOTE: It may happen that your phone doesn’t automatically boot into recovery. In that case follow the following above procedure except that in Step 7, Auto Reboot option is un-checked and then the instructions below:
- Pull out the battery and re-insert it.
- Boot your Samsung Galaxy S5 into Recovery Mode: Press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up + Power + Home.
└ For a detailed guide on booting into recovery mode, check out this page → Samsung Galaxy S5 Recovery Mode.
That’s all. If you need help regarding this, feel free to ask us in comments below.
It was easy to install TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S5, right? Let us know how it is to your liking in comments below.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!