Here we go again, with a brand new custom ROM, this time for the Xperia X10. And it’s not just any custom ROM, but MIUI 4! It’s the perfect combination, the goodness of ICS, and the elegance of MIUI. This ROM, called dark edition HD, comes to us courtesy XDA developer 7hr08ik, and uses FXP as the base with MIUI ported on top of it, thus combining the best of both ROMs. technically it is Android 2.3.7, but includes parts of the ICS framework and animations. The important thing though, is that it looks awesome, and can be flashed on both locked, as well as unlocked bootloaders.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. Please do not attempt to flash it on an incompatible device, as it could cause damage to your device and brick it. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About device.
- Rooted X10 with Clockworkmod Recovery or CWM 5 (If you are not rooted, you can use this guide to root and install recovery via Flashtool)
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guidewould help you.
- Make sure your X10 battery is fully charged
- Make sure you are on the correct Baseband (2.1.71), You can get it here.
(If any apps plese try uninstall and re-install through market)
Beside the usual host of apps,
Adfree – Blocks ads from Apps and games. Very useful
DSP Manager – Equalizer
Link2SD – Check Here
MX Video Player
SD Maid – Does what it says on the tin. Clears up temp files etc.
StudioKUMA .nomedia – Blocks chosen folders on SD Card from media scanning in apps and android. Speeds up phone and media apps
vscreens – Very fun app, for showing your pics on computer screen without any cables
XDA – Lords of customization need to be included
How To Install Dark Edition HD on Xperia X10
- Download the DarkEdition ROM file & Flashtool to your PC from the original development thread
- Extract the zip file to your desktop. It should have two folders, Kernel & Main ROM
- Transfer the zip file from the main ROM folder to your phone sdcard
- Now Launch Flashtool on your PC, and flash the kernel file on the phone
- Once the kernel flashing is complete, power off the phone and reboot to CWM recovery
- Perform a full Wipe.
- Wipe data / factory reset –> Confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Confirm Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Confirm Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file you transferred in Step 3 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install “___.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” and then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The reboot process might take a while. Be patient.
- That’s it!! Enjoy MIUI on your Xperia X10.
Installation instructions quoted from the original thread
1. Do a backup before you proceed.
2. Download LockedBL.zip and copy it to SD Card:
You need to install my modded kernel that comes with CWM5 first
– do steps 3 & 4 if your current rom is running on stock kernel or standard custom kernels
– skip steps 3 & 4 if you are currently running my Miui or FXP Port
3. Download CWM5.zip here:
4. Flash it with xRecovery
5. Reboot and press [Back] key when “Xperia” logo appears, you should get into CWM5
6. Install the rom (FXP, FXP Miui or Miui Prime)
7. Install LockedBL.zip
8. Reboot and enjoy the rom
The rom will run on my modded Free Kernel 4.05.4 and support dual recoveries.
– To get into xRecovery, press [Back] key when SE logo appears
– To get into CWM5, press [Back] key when “Xperia” logo appears
You can visit the original development thread to check development progress, and to download patches and add-ons. So go ahead and give this ROM a spin, and share your thoughts with us in comments below.