After HTC’s success with the One M7, the company decided to follow suite with the One M8. The smartphone continued the sturdy metallic build and carried a near stock version of Android. On top of that, the device featured excellent specifications catching the eyes of many developers out there.
With that said, we’re now seeing Lineage OS 14.1 for the device. With the custom ROM you’ll be able to bring out any kind of customization that you can dream of. The performance and battery departments will also see specific increases.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
HTC One M8 Lineage OS
Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root add-on package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on One M8
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your One M8.
- Boot your One M8 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your One M8 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- If you want root for apps, download and flash the root add-on zip file as well.
- Once you’re done flashing all required files, reboot your One M8.
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your HTC One M8.