The Verizon HTC Droid DNA is still a week away from its release, after being officially announced earlier this week. The developer community though, has already kicked into action with ways and means to get the best out of this awesome device.
For starters, XDA dev dsb9938 has already released working methods to unlock the Droid DNA bootloader, as well as a working build of Clockworkmod Recovery. And to complete the loop, dsb9938 has now also released a CWM flashable root zip file, which lets you gain root access to the yet to be released Droid DNA. Talk about being proactive, eh? Bootloader unlock, CWM and Root, all available before the phone has been released to the general public.
Rooting the Droid DNA via dsb9938’s method is pretty simple, and involves downloading and flashing a zip file though CWM recovery. Which means that you do need to unlock the bootloader, and get CWM onto your device before you get to this. Read on to know how you can gain root on the Verizon HTC Droid DNA, and prepare it for all the goodies that only a rooted device can get you.
How to Root the HTC Droid DNA
- You need to make sure that you have unlocked the bootloader on your Droid DNA.You can use this handy guide to help you do so
- Next, you need to install Clockworkmod recovery or CWM on your device, by using this step-by-step guide
- Download the Root zip file to your PC, or directly to your phone. | Download Root file
- Transfer the downloaded zip file, filename SU.Busybox.Installer.zip to the SD card on your phone. DO not extract the zip file, simply copy it over as it is
- Switch off the phone completely. Boot into the Recovery mode first by holding the Volume Down button while powering on the phone. Then, select Recovery from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select recovery mode.
- In recovery, Select Install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the SU.Busybox.Installer.zip file you transferred to your SD Card in Step 4 . Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into the OS.
- Now launch the Play Store and install either SuperSU or Superuser
- Once installed,open the SU control app, and update the binaries.