With Sprint deciding to lock down the bootloader of Galaxy S5, it meant you have to hack your way to get root access. Moreover, updates become tiring, if you want to keep root access. If you apply an OTA update, you will lose root, but with the solution provided here, thanks to developer muniz_ri, you can easily install the Sprint Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 Lollipop update, build no. G900PVPU2BOD3.
What you need is root access. Yes, that’s a must. If you don’t have it, try towelroot. Download the APK, and install it. Then open the app, and root your device by tapping on the button. If towelroot doesn’t works on your Sprint Galaxy S5 — maybe because you have a newer version than it supports — then install the Sprint’s own G900PVPU1ANE5 firmware first, and then try towelroot on this. It should work. To install G900PVPU1ANE5 firmware, download it form here, and then install it using the guide here (it’s for S4, but process remains exactly same, so just follow that). Once you have root access on your device, on any build no., continue below.
Sprint Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 Lollipop Update build G900PVPU2BOD3 with Root
- Pre-rooted OD3 ROM | File: G900P_OD3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip
- SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY S5, model no. SM-G900P
- Don’t try on Galaxy S5 sets at Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, US Cellular or the Canadian, Korean and International variants.
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. Installing this ROM will wipe your device, so create a have backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files.
- Make sure you have root access. If not, read the second para above from the beginning to see how to get root access.
- It’s good to set the ‘Screen timeout’ to 10 minutes under Settings > Display.
- Download the ROM file, and transfer it to phone’s storage. Remember the location where you put it.
- Download the Flashfire android app that we will use to flash the ROM:
- Login into Google using the same Gmail ID that you are using on phone. Go to Google+ page and join the community.
- Next, sign up here to be able to install the app from play store and receive updates.
- Use the play store link provided thereafter to get to pay store page of the app and install it. It may take hours before it shows up for you in play store. You can only wait.
- Open the Flashfire app. Provide it root permissions by tapping on Grant on the pop-up that shows up. (Tap on Agree on the Disclaimer pop-up that comes only one time. And read the Instructions section, it’s helpful.)
- Tap on + sign, select ‘Flash ZIP or OTA’ and then select the ROM file (G900P_OD3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip) from step 3 here.
- On next screen, leave Auto-mount option unchecked, and just tap on checkmark sign at top right corner to continue.
- You will be back on main screen, tap on EverRoot.
- Make sure every option is unchecked. Then tap on the checkmark sign at right top corner to continue.
- Scroll down and tap on FLASH button. Tap on OK to confirm. That’s it. When done, device will reboot automatically. (Uh, don’t worry when Screen turns black and Flashfire does its things and pauses for around 1 minute in between. When rebooting, device will seem stuck at Sprint’s logo, for like 2 minutes, but will reboot all fine soon enough, don’t worry!)
Need more help with flashing the ROM using Flashfire app (steps 5 to 8 above)? Well, check this video. Works for every ROM on every Samsung phone when using Flashfire app.
Once Flashfire is done flashing the pre-rooted OD3 firmware based 100% stock ROM without any other customization than root, your Sprint Galaxy S5 will reboot automatically.
That’s it. Let us know if you know any help with this via comments section below. We’ll be sure to help you.