Until now, if you wanted to use your Stadia controller to play games on your Android phone, your only option was to connect both of those devices using a USB cable. That changes now after Google announced that you can now play games on your Android device using the Stadia controller, wirelessly!
Yes, after six months of launch, your Stadia controller can finally be used to play games on your phone wirelessly. The following post will help you figure out how you can pair a Stadia controller to your Android device and use it to play games.
What do you need
- A Stadia-compatible Android phone (compatible devices are listed below)
- A wireless network that your phone and controller are connected to
- The latest version of Stadia app installed
Can I use my Android phone to connect to a Stadia controller?
For now, the Stadia controller will only work with the following mobile devices. You can only pair your Stadia Controller to your Android device if it’s present in this list.
- Google – Pixel 2, 2XL, 3, 3XL, 3a, 3a XL, 4, 4XL
- Samsung – Galaxy S8, S8+, S8 Active, Note 8, S9, S9+, Note 9, S10, S10+, Note 10, Note 10+, S20, S20+, S20 Ultra
- OnePlus– OnePlus 5, 5T, 6, 6T, 7, 7T, 7 Pro, 7T Pro, 7 Pro 5G, 7T Pro 5G, 8, 8 Pro
- Asus – ROG Phone, ROG Phone II
- Razer– Razer Phone, Razer Phone II
How to wirelessly pair your Stadia controller to an Android phone
Step 1: Download and install or update to the latest version of the Stadia app on Google Play.
Step 2: Connect your Stadia-compatible Android device to a WiFi network that you are going to connect your controller to as well.
Step 3: Connect your Stadia controller to the same wireless network as that of your phone. To connect your Stadia Controller to Wi-Fi, turn it on, press and hold the Stadia button until it vibrates, and then open the Stadia app. Now open the Stadia app on your phone, tap the Controller icon, select controller from the list, then tap ‘Yes’ and ‘Continue’.
In the next screen, select the WiFi network you connected your Android device to, enter the password, tap ‘Connect to Wi-Fi’ and then hit ‘Done’. Your Stadia controller has been connected to the same WiFi network as your Android phone.
Step 4: Open the Stadia app on your phone and select a game you want to play from the ‘Your games’ section.
Step 5: In the drop-down menu that pops up, select the ‘This screen’ option, and tap on the ‘Play’ button.
When the game is being launched, you will be prompted to add a controller.
Step 6: Now press and hold the Stadia button on the Stadia controller and wait for it to vibrate twice. You will now enter the linking mode and the status light on your controller will blink white.
Step 7: Now enter the linking code (generally 4-5 characters long) that’s displayed on your Android phone’s screen. You can input the linking code using these controller buttons – Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.
The pairing process might take up to 15 seconds as it might take Stadia a moment to recognize the linking code after you have entered it. When your Stadia controller successfully links with your Android device, you will be able to feel two short vibrations on your controller. The status light on your Stadia controller will also turn to a solid white color.
Facing issues when connecting? This should help
- The status light is still blinking white: You haven’t entered the full linking code yet. Enter the code and wait a few seconds to let your controller connect to your phone.
- The status light blinks orange: This might happen if you entered an invalid linking code. Wait for the status light to start blinking white to enter the linking code again.
- Make sure your controller and phone are connected to the same network: Wireless linking on your Stadia controller is only possible if both the Stadia Controller and your Android device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Are you using a compatible wireless network: Your Stadia Controller might fail to connect to your Android phone if you’re are connected to the same Wi-Fi network like in a cafe, hotel, or an office.
Were you able to connect your Stadia controller to an Android device?