Earlier today, Verizon started the Android 5.1 update soak test for Motorola Moto X 2014 and to your delight, we already have it available for download thanks to shane1! Those of you looking to update the Verizon Moto X 2nd Gen to Android 5.1 officially can sure go ahead and use this OTA. Know that you will root access upon installing this, and also, if you used Mofo, your $20 are lost as you will need to buy the Mofo again for the 5.1 version, as per their terms. Still worth it perhaps, but just letting you know, you know.
What you need is to have stock recovery installed. In case you installed the custom recovery like TWRP or CWM on your device, you’ll need to remove that first. Once you have the stock recovery, the update process is real simple, and shouldn’t take you more than 15 mins. Take care that your Moto X’s battery is more than 80% — that’s the recommended level but at least keep it above 30% to be safe. The first reboot after the update could take long time, around 10 minutes.
How to Install Android 5.1 OTA update on Verizon Moto X 2nd Gen (2014)
- OTA Update: Direct Link | Google Drive Link | File: Blur_Version.22.21.11.victara_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip
- MOTOROLA MOTO X, 2014 edition, model no. XT1096
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official Verizon Moto X 2nd Gen Android 5.1 OTA update from above.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Disconnect the phone now.
- Reboot your Moto X to recovery mode. Do this:
- Power off your Moto X.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. Now, this is bootloader mode.
- Use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold both volume buttons for around 5 seconds and while holding them, press power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the Android 5.1 OTA update file (Blur_Version.22.21.11.victara_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip) using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
That’s it. You have successfully installed the Verizon Moto X 2014 Android 5.1 OTA update!
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.