You might have your hopes high with the 2014 Flagship phone from HTC, but the truth is that HTC One M8 won’t be getting the Android Nougat update officially from the Taiwanese manufacturer. The device has aged out of its 18 months guaranteed upgrade promise, and hence HTC might have very little interest in continuing support for the device.
But anyway, not getting the update officially doesn’t mean you can’t install Android Nougat on your M8. Thanks to the folks over at xdavn, we now have an unofficial build of CM14 for HTC One M8.
CM14 is an Android 7.0 Nougat based AOSP ROM developed and maintained by CyanogenMod — the most popular custom ROM for Android devices.
This is an alpha release ROM and might not be suitable for every day usage. Check all details about the ROM below, along with downloads and installation instructions.
HTC One M8 CM14 Build Details
- Developer: Le Hoang
- Build status: Unofficial, test build
- Supported models: HTC One M8
- Original development page: XDAVN Link
- RIL (unstable)
What’s not working (as of 12th Sep, 2016):
- Camera (can’t take picture)
- DO NOT Turn on data or connect wifi
HTC One M8 CM14 Downloads
- Flash CM14 ROM zip file using this guide: How to Install CM14 Using TWRP and Cyanogen Recovery.
- Install/flash CM14 boot image:
- Boot into TWRP recovery.
- Download and transfer boot.img to your M8’s storage.
- On TWRP main menu, select Install » then select Install image button (on bottom right) » select the boot image you transferred to device in step above and install/flash it to device.
Download Android 7.0 Nougat Gapps
Since this is an AOSP based ROM, you’re require to flash/install a Nougat supported Gapps package separately via recovery to get Google services like Play store and others back on your device.