Regardless of the field of work, you may be involved in, you may arrive at times when you’re required to send an email or a letter addressing your proposal, request, or issue with the concerned people. If you’ve been struggling to draft emails and letters lately, you can use ChatGPT to write them for you, and with just a few prompts, the email or letter you’ve been meaning to create will be available for you.
In this post, we’ve compiled lists of basic and advanced prompts you can use to generate drafts of letters and emails with ChatGPT.
Best ChatGPT prompts to draft letters, emails, or resume
To create letters, emails, and resumes, you can use the following prompts inside ChatGPT:
- Draft an email professionally and respectfully to help a mid-level software engineer negotiate a salary increase from $15,000 to $20,000.
- Write a thank you email to an interviewee for applying to <specify job>.
- Write a professional and short email to your work supervisor requesting 4 days of leave for personal reasons.
- Generate a draft letter for my company’s managing director asking for a recommendation for your next <job description>.
- Create an acceptance email for a job I was offered for the <position of> at <company>. I will join the company at the start of next month.
- Generate a follow-up email on the subject line <insert subject here>.
- Create a response for the email [insert email text] in a positive way.
- Generate a cover letter for a technology blogger with 5 years of experience looking to explore new opportunities.
- Create a summary highlighting my skillsets from this resume [add your resume here].
- Write a creative description for each of my skills listed here [insert text from your cover letter].
- Draft an email to a job applicant for <specify job here> politely rejecting their application.
- Here’s an email I wrote for the “<subject>”: [insert email text]. Make it professional-looking and respectful.
- Write a cold e-mail to help me apply for the <job position> to <company supervisor>.
- Generate an email with some detailed information about <topic> with emphasis on <theme>.
- [Add your resume] Help me improve my resume to make it more attractive. Suggest to me all the edits and explain each of them
- Draft a follow-up email thanking people who attended my <event type> on <topic>.
- Create a month’s worth of newsletters on <topic> to be sent once every week.
- The following is my current resume. Can you help me tailor it for the <job type> I’m going to apply? [Insert your resume here]
- Here’s my resume [insert your resume text]. Can you help make it sound better?
- Can you re-write the “Skills” section with actionable synonyms in my resume? [insert resume here]
- Draft an email with my cover letter to a friend/acquaintance who works at a company I want to join.
- Create an email to send to the recruiter of a company you want to join based on my resume here – [insert resume].
- Write a cover letter for a senior web developer with <years of> experience at <skill or job type>.
- Create a cover letter for an internship job in sales at <company type and name>.
- Create a persuasive portion of a cover letter highlighting my skillset for <job role> at <company> using my resume. [insert resume]
- Generate a 150-word summary to help me demonstrate my <skills> in my resume.
- Translate the following email into <specify language> keeping the tone <mention tones like confident, friendly, etc.>. [add your email here].
- Write a promotional email with <subject> to send it to a potential client.
- Draft an email apologizing to clients about a server-down issue for my website.
- Create an email to <service> about <describe issues> you’re facing with <product> asking them for a solution.
- Generate a thank you email welcoming a new customer for purchasing your <product/service>.
- Write a draft letter inviting employees for a meeting about <topic>.
Related: How to Make ChatGPT Write Longer
How to make ChatGPT take a specific role to write letters and emails
ChatGPT can respond to your prompts based on the last reply you sent to it as well as other messages that were shared within the same conversation. If you want to get more specific answers from the AI tool, you can make it assume a role with a specific set of purposes so that ChatGPT can respond with a style relevant to the character you assigned to it.
|Resume reviewer||I want you to act as my resume reviewer. I will provide information about my current job and my resume, and it will be your job to come up with feedback about it and strategies to help me improve my resume. You can add additional sections wherever necessary to make my resume more interesting, and suggest results, numbers, and action verbs I can add to it. My first request is “Suggest an improved version of my resume [enter your existing CV here]”.|
|Fancy Title Generator||I want you to act as a fancy title generator. I will type keywords via comma and you will reply with fancy titles. my first keywords are API, test, automation, etc.|
|Startup Tech Lawyer||I will ask you to prepare a 1-page draft of a design partner agreement between a tech startup with IP and a potential client of that startup’s technology that provides data and domain expertise to the problem space the startup is solving. You will write down about a 1 a4 page length of a proposed design partner agreement that will cover all the important aspects of IP, confidentiality, commercial rights, data provided, usage of the data, etc.|
|Cover Letter||In order to submit applications for jobs, I want to write a new cover letter. Please compose a cover letter describing my technical skills. I’ve been working with web technology for two years. I’ve worked as a front-end developer for 8 months. I’ve grown by employing some tools. These include […Tech Stack], and so on. I wish to develop my full-stack development skills. I desire to lead a T-shaped existence. Can you write a cover letter for a job application about me?|
|Proofreader||I want you to act as a proofreader. I will provide you with texts and I would like you to review them for any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors. Once you have finished reviewing the text, provide me with any necessary corrections or suggestions for improving the text.|
|Logistician||I want you to act as a logistician. I will provide you with details on an upcoming event, such as the number of people attending, the location, and other relevant factors. Your role is to develop an efficient logistical plan for the event that takes into account allocating resources beforehand, transportation facilities, catering services, etc. You should also keep in mind potential safety concerns and come up with strategies to mitigate risks associated with large-scale events like this one. My first request is “Draft an email for a client to help them organize a developer meeting for 100 people in Istanbul.|
|Accountant||I want you to act as an accountant and come up with creative ways to manage finances. You’ll need to consider budgeting, investment strategies, and risk management when creating a financial plan for your client. In some cases, you may also need to provide advice on taxation laws and regulations in order to help them maximize their profits. My first suggestion request is “Create an email for a client with a financial plan for a small business that focuses on cost savings and long-term investments”.|
|Aphorism newsletter||I want you to act as an aphorism newsletter. You will provide me with wise advice, inspiring quotes, and meaningful sayings that can help guide my day-to-day decisions. Additionally, if necessary, you could suggest practical methods for putting this advice into action or other related themes. My first request is “Draft a newsletter guiding a client on staying motivated in the face of adversity”.|
|Cheap travel ticket advisor||You are a cheap travel ticket advisor specializing in finding the most affordable transportation options for your clients. When provided with departure and destination cities, as well as desired travel dates, you use your extensive knowledge of past ticket prices, tips, and tricks to suggest the cheapest routes. Your recommendations may include transfers, extended layovers for exploring transfer cities, and various modes of transportation such as planes, car-sharing, trains, ships, or buses. Additionally, you can recommend websites for combining different trips and flights to achieve the most cost-effective journey. My first request is “Create an email with travel plans, itinerary, and prices for all services for a client who wants to travel from New York to London for a 5-day vacation”.|
You can check out more of these role-playing prompts by visiting this Github page which has a collection of inputs you can enter to assign specific roles to ChatGPT.
That’s all you need to know about the best prompts you can use to create draft letters, emails, and resumes with ChatGPT.