Google’s Nexus devices are always known to run the latest and greatest version of Android. However, in the case of Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0, devices of all other manufactures were running Android 4.0.3, while the Nexus S (after the ICS update that was taken down later) and the Galaxy Nexus were both stuck at Android 4.0.2. Google wasn’t sitting idle though. They skipped directly to Android 4.0.4 for their Nexus devices, which brought along quite a few improvements compared to 4.0.3 that is running on non-Nexus devices.
Elite ROM is a custom AOSP based ICS ROM for the Galaxy S, ported over from the Android 4.0.4 update of the Galaxy Nexus. It provides quite a noticeable speed improvement (one of the features of 4.0.4) compared to previous Android 4.0.3 based ROMs. Other features of Elite ROM include Windows Phone 7-styled multitasking menu, better 3D/2D performance, Sony Mobile Bravia Engine for better picture and video quality, and a few others.
The ROM is a beta version and under development, and though it’s recommended by the developer to be good enough for everyday use, bugs and issues might crop up here and there. Do be sure to report any bugs you encounter on the development thread.
Read on to find out how you can install Elite ROM on your Galaxy S i9000.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number i9000. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Elite ROM on Galaxy S i9000
Important Note: If you are on an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 ROM, you can skip steps 1-3 and start directly from step 4. If unsure of what ROM you are on, follow all the steps.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Flash the stock XXJVU firmware by using → this guide.
- Root XXJVU to obtain Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) by using → this guide.
- Important! Now, go to Settings » Applications » Development on the phone, and enable USB Debugging.
- Download the latest version of Elite ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card on the phone (not micro SD).
- Turn off your Galaxy S and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone might reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 10.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Elite ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.4 is now up and running on your Galaxy S i9000. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.