Forget LG, forget AT&T and forget their update releases, if any; here is your Android 4.4 KitKat update for your precious AT&T Optimus G, model no. E970 — all ready for download and manual installation.
It looks like LG has already stopped its update program for AT&T Optimus G now, with Android 4.1.2 being the last OTA, which itself arrived darn late in early April when Android 4.3 was already released by Google.
This Android 4.4 update has been made possible by some cool work of developers who used Google’s Android 4.4 source code to build the ROM for AT&T Optimus G. So, this looks and runs exactly like what Android 4.4 is on Nexus 5, as made by Google, but trimmed down for even faster performances by the SlimKat team.
So, get the original Android 4.4 KitKat OS update now, stock Android if you may, void of LG’s ugly customization and stinky features that slow the device down in vain.
This will definitely run smoother than anything you installed before as Android 4.4 is known for running better on even low-end devices, and LG Optimus G is one very good spec’ed device.
So, let’s go on and install the Android 4.4 on LG Optimus G right away.
- ext storage isn’t supported, yet.
Let’s see how to install the custom Android 4.4 KitKat update on your AT&T Optimus G.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be E970!
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other Optimus G variant or any other device of LG or any other company. You have been warned!
BEFORE YOU BEGIN..
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install the ROM on your AT&T Optimus G E970 in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICE
If your android device powers off due to lack of battery while the process is in progress, it could damage the device.
So, make sure your device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
If you haven’t used a custom recovery, either CWM or TWRP, before, to install a .zip file of a ROM on anything else, then we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Just fyi, the video below shows installing a .zip file (of recovery) on Galaxy S3, but it doesn’t matter as the process remains exactly same. So, once you are finished with video, jump to downloads and step-by-step guide below.
AT&T OPTIMUS G E970 ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT based SlimKat AOSP ROM
Download the files given below and transfer them to a separate folder on your phone and remember the location.
Android 4.4 KitKat update ROM file : DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: slim_geeb-4.4-kk.zip (160.44 MB)
Google Apps: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: 11-11_GApps_Standard_4.4_signed.zip (83.9 MB)
TWRP Recovery file: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: twrp-geep.zip (8.8 MB)
Reminder: Before you proceed, make sure you’ve transferred the files you downloaded above to a separate folder on your Optimus G phone.
Make sure you have backed up your phone adequately (including important data stored on internal memory).
GUIDE FOR TWRP RECOVERY USERS
- You have to be on Android 4.1.2 official update for this. If you don’t have that, use LGNPST to install Android 4.1.2 first.
- And, you need to have a CWM recovery or TWRP recovery, so that you can flash this TWRP recovery, file name: twrp-geep.zip. Download link is above. Flash this from recovery to install it.
- Now reboot your phone after installing the TWRP recovery from step 2.
Boot into recovery mode. For this: Hold Volume Up & Power until fastboot screen appears, then press Volume Down twice, then press Power to boot recovery.
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons together until you see FASTBOOT screen.
- Now, press Volume Down button two times and then Power button to reboot into recovery mode.
└ In Recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use Power button to select an option.
- Create a Nandroid Backup from recovery. It’s optional but very important to do, so that in case something goes wrong you can restore to current status easily. For making a Nandroid Backup, go to Backup » and select all check boxes and swipe on the Swipe to confirm option at the bottom of the screen to confirm backup.
- Perform a wipe data/factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). Tap on Wipe » then at the bottom of the screen do a Swipe on the ‘Swipe to factory reset’ option (screenshot)
- Wipe Cache and Dalvik cache. Tap on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » then select these check boxes: Wipe, and Dalvik. Now, swipe left to right at the bottom to do wipe cache and dalvik cache.
(You can also select System check box but that’s optional. (Maybe you can try wiping System next time if it doesn’t work out this time. Or just do this time so no doubts remain. Your choice!))
- First Install the ROM file (slim_geeb-4.4-kk.zip):
- Now similarly flash the 11-11_GApps_Standard_4.4_signed.zip file.
└ Make sure to first flash the ROM file and then the Gapps file.
- Wipe Cache and Dalvik cache, again. Tap on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » then select these check boxes: Wipe, and Dalvik. Now, swipe left to right at the bottom to do wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now, reboot your device. For this:
- Go back to the main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot » then, tap on System to reboot your phone.
That’s all. You have successfully flashed SlimKat ROM on your AT&T Optimus G E970. Enjoy!
It was easy to install Android 4.4 KitKat, right? Let us know how it tastes to you.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!
Via XDA (pcexpress)