Asus isn’t known for rolling out faster updates, especially when we are talking about Android OS upgrades. But, with the Android 8.0 Oreo, they seek to change that, which apparently became clear when they first announced the Oreo for ZenFone 3 and ZenFone 4 a few months ago.
We expect the ZenFone 4 Oreo to come out in December originally, but it looks like the launch will be postponed to January 2018 easily. Anyhow, as far as ZenFone 3 is concerned, if you remember, we did share the screenshots of Android 8.0 update on the device a while ago. Now, the Android 8.0 has become available for download too, thanks to OreoBooyah.
The Oreo update for ZenFone 3 is available as a beta version at the moment. So it might be that smooth and stable as the final version would be. If you are not okay with that, then you better wait for the release of the stable version which should roll out for ZenFone 3 sometime in January or February 2018.
ZenFone 3 Oreo download
Warning and Compatibility
Please know that the Oreo update for ZenFone 3 is not official yet. Also, procedures given on this page are risky, so do this only if you completely know what you are doing.
This Oreo update is compatible only with ZenFone 3 whose model no. is ZE552KL. No other model of the ZenFone 3 is compatible with this Oreo build. Also, as this is beta Oreo firmware, it might not be as stable as you’d expect, and may have some rough edges.
Make appropriate backup all your important data, music and video files, and everything else as there are chances your devices will be wiped while doing this.
How to install Android 8.0 update on ZenFone 3
Note: It is required that the software version on your ZenFone 3 (ZE552KL) is WW-14.2020.1711.75. Make sure you have stock recovery on this, so if you ever installed TWRP recovery, you need to go back to stock recovery which comes as default.
- Download the ZenFone 3 Oreo beta .zip file from the downloads section above.
- Transfer the beta Oreo firmware file to your Micro SD card.
- Reboot the ZenFone 3 into recovery mode:
- Power off your device. Wait for 5-6 seconds after screen goes off.
- Now, press and hold Power and Volume down buttons together until you see anything on the screen.
- If required: When you reach the screen with an exclamation mark, hold the Volume up button and then press the Power button to reach stock recovery. You would see recovery written at the top of it.
- Now, select the option called ‘install update via microSD card.’
- On the next screen, select the .zip file you transferred in step 2 above. Wait for some time for the device to install the Oreo update.
- Once done, you will be back to home screen of the stock recovery. Now restart the device by selecting ‘Reboot system’ option.
That’s it. Enjoy Oreo (beta) on your ZenFone 3.