Xiaomi Mi 9: Launched with Snapdragon 855, 12GB RAM, triple camera and fast wireless charging; coming to Europe on Feb 28

Xiaomi Mi 9 (2)

Xiaomi unveiled the Xiaomi Mi 9 at a mini-launch event a couple of days ago, giving fans an early look into what was to be made official today. And indeed, the Mi 8 successor is upon us and as expected, the tech giant has crammed top-end hardware into the device that includes the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, up to 12GB RAM, a tri-lens camera, and the best of all, you are getting fast wireless charging this time around.

Let’s check out the specs sheet:

Xiaomi Mi 9 specs

  • 6.39-inch 19.5:9 FHD+ AMOLED screen with waterdrop notch
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor
  • 6GB, 8GB or 12GB RAM
  • 64GB, 128GB or 256GB storage
  • Tri-lens 48MP (standard) + 16MP (ultra-wide) + 12MP (telephoto) main camera
  • 20MP front camera
  • 3300mAh battery
  • Android 9 Pie with MIUI 10
  • Extras: Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, NFC, 960fps video recording, etc.

Of course, the Mi 9 specs sheet won’t be complete without the mention of AI, which the company has deeply integrated into the MIUI 10 software, especially the camera. On the outside, the Mi 9 will get three paint jobs of Black, Blue and Purple.

Xiaomi Mi 9 (2)

Xiaomi Mi 9 pricing and availability

Xiaomi Mi 9 opens pre-orders in China today, with open sales set to begin on February 26th through mi.com and other outlets in the country. This will come two days after the global launch that takes place on February 24th at the MWC 2019 (10.30 AM GMT+1).

In China, the phone goes for CNY 2,999 (about $450) for the 6/128GB variant while the 8/128GB variant goes for CNY 3,299 (about $500).

In Europe, the phone will begin selling on February 28th priced at €449 for the base model of 6/64GB and €499 for the 128GB variant. Details of UK pricing are still unknown.

There is another variant dubbed Xiaomi Mi 9 Transparent Edition that features a transparent back, much like the Mi 8 Explorer Edition before it, a massive 12GB RAM and 256GB storage, and a slightly improved camera but keeps everything else found on the standard Mi 9. This one goes for CNY 3,999, which is about $600, but we don’t have any word on its global availability.


Top 5 Xiaomi Mi 9 features

Xiaomi Mi 9 is a high-end device and thus comes with top of the line features. Here are the top 5 best features the Mi 9 has to offer.

Wireless charging, finally!

One feature that has until today remained exclusive to the premium Xiaomi Mi MIX series is the wireless charging feature. However, beginning with Xiaomi Mi 9, you not only get to enjoy wireless charging but fast wireless charging that supports up to 20W, the first in the world.

To ensure you get the best out of this feature, Xiaomi has also announced a 20W version of the Mi Wireless Charging Pad, a 20W wireless car charger, as well as a massive 10,000mAh wireless power bank.

Xiaomi Mi 9 (2)

Faster wired charging technology

On top of having the fastest wireless charging standard available to date, the Mi 9 also supports 27W fast wired charging that equates to Quick Charge 4+. Yes, the Mi 8 also supports QC 4+, but the latter only manages up to 18W. Thus, Xiaomi says the 3300mAh unit in the Mi 9 will only require 30 minutes of charging to take it from 0-70%, with the remaining 30% requiring another 30 minutes to complete the equation.

Tri-lens camera

The Mi 9 has joined the growing tri-lens camera club, but the standout aspect of this setup is the use of the massive 48MP lens as the primary unit alongside two more lenses. Of the devices that have a 48MP lens on the back, only the Mi 9 has two more photography lenses – an ultra-wide shooter that can manage up to 117 degrees and a telephoto lens for portrait shots.

In-display fingerprint scanner

Last year, only the premium Mi 8 Explorer Edition got the in-display fingerprint scanner, but this time, the standard Xiaomi Mi 9 also gets this feature, albeit a second-gen version that is much better.

Of course, the Mi 9 still comes with software-based facial recognition tech that makes use of the 20MP front camera.

Xiaomi Mi 9 (2)

Dedicated button for summoning [Google] Assistants

Samsung and LG both have smartphones with dedicated buttons for summoning their respective digital assistants. Well, the Mi 9 has one too for summoning Xiaomi’s digital assistant, but the best part is that one can reconfigure the button to suit their needs, including turning it into a shortcut for certain apps or actions.

Posted by

Each one Reach one Teach one. Football Droid. Email: hillary@theandroidsoul.com