At a time when a good number of Xiaomi devices are receiving Android 8.0 Oreo and/or MIUI 10, those using the Xiaomi Mi 5s are still enjoying Android 7.0 Nougat on a device that debuted with Android Marshmallow back in late 2016.
While we know the Xiaomi Mi 5s will get Oreo after all, what is still elusive is the rollout date. This is also true for the latest MIUI 10 update that was unveiled last month, but if Xiaomi’s words are to be believed, the Mi 5s will get this new skin in the coming weeks, at least the beta version. Until then, owners of this handset can make do with the latest stable version of MIUI 9 that installs version 9.5.4, which, as noted above, is still based on Nougat.
We have the download links to the recovery and fastboot files ready for you on this page, but you can also sit back and wait for the OTA update that is already rolling out to all Xiaomi Mi 5s users. Weighing in at about 1.3GB, the update has a bunch of goodies up its sleeve, which are as listed below.
- Mi AI voice assistant can open default WeChat, Weibo, and QQ if dual apps are created.
- Fixed issue where playing online content gives warning every time with every song even when no data limit is set
- In Settings, you can now hide the shortcut to Second space
- Added the card of ‘Recommend for you’ in Browser
- Search bar improved with broader input area.
If you opt to go the manual installation way, we also have a handy guide on how to get things done on this page. This is also the same page that you’ll find all the latest news regarding Xiaomi Mi 5, Mi 5s, and Mi 5s Plus software updates, so feel free to bookmark it for easy access.