Infuse 4G owners who want to wait till the official Ice Cream Sandwich update comes along before moving on to the latest and the greatest, can now update their devices to Android 2.3.6 – the latest version of Gingerbread OS with the UCLB3 firmware package.
XDA member qkster has released a firmware package which will install ATT’s SGH-I997 GingerBread UCLB3 to your Infuse 4g. The package can also be used to restore your phone to factory state, as well as to restore it for a flash gone bad situation, especially if you’re stuck in a boot loop, or stuck at the Samsung logo, or have somehow managed to get mismatched voodoo partitions.
In short, this is not only just a Gingerbread update, but is also a savior package, which can get you out of the worst of flashing situations, and get your phone back to as good as new. This package is slightly different from the UCLB3 firmware guide we had published earlier, in that, we will be using Heimdall to flash this, and not Odin.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G, model number SGH-i997. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → qkster
- Rooted Infuse 4G
- Heimdall Suite 1.3.1. You can get it here. [Heimdall is a tool like Odin, and is used to flash firmware packages to Samsung phones. Heimdall is cross-platform unlike Odin, which is a Windows-only tool]
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How To Install Stock UCLB3 Gingerbread update on ATT Infuse 4G
- Download the Heimdall suite from the link provided above . Extract the zip file to your C: drive.
- Make sure you have the drivers for your device installed. To install drivers, check the readme file in the Heimdall directory for instructions
- Download the UCLB3 package from the original development page.
- Now launch Heimdall by navigating to the Heimdall suite folder on your C: drive and double clicking the heimdall-frontend.exe file
- Power off your phone and put it into Download mode. To do this, simply connect USB cable to PC, then connect the cable to the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up and Down buttons
- Once your device is connected, Device status in Heimdall should show ‘Connected”. Also, the long Flash bar will turn on, indicating that Heimdall is ready to flash.
- Click on the Flash button in Heimdall. It is advisable to ensure that you do not have any other applications running on your PC at this time, to ensure no interference with the flashing process.
- Once the flashing is complete, your phone should reboot automatically, and you should see the ATT logo, before you boot into stock UCLB3.
- In case you get stuck, and the phone does not load up the ROM, just put it back into download mode, and re-flash the package, with the “Flash Bootloader” box checked in Heimdall. This will only happen if you have never loaded gingerbread bootloaders on your device, or it’s the first time you are installing Gingerbread. which I seriously doubt would be the case.
- Enjoy the latest Gingerbread firmware UCLB3.
If you have used this package to restore your Infuse 4G from a flash gone bad, you can say thanks to the developer on the official development page linked above. If any of your family members or friends own an Infuse 4G, let them know about this guide. never know when it might come handy. Try it out, and let us know about your experience in comments below.